WARMER MIXTAPES #96 | by Mitch Myers, Kenzie Cooke and Marcos Gasc of Hear Hums

SIDE A | by Mitch Myers

1. Broken Social Scene | Backyards
I haven’t stopped listening to this track for years. Bee Hives was the first album I got from Broken Social Scene and has remained my favorite. The waves of ambience from distance distorted synths mesh great with all the noises and instruments that occupy the panoramic space. So much meaning attached to the end of the song I am reminded what it’s like to really feel when I hear this.

2. Avey Tare & Kria Brekkan | Lay Lay Off, Faselam (Reverse)
All of Pullhair Rubeye is amazing. It was hard to pick one song. Anything from Animal Collective or Múm is amazing so of course I’m in love with this. All the subtle things in this song, the slowing pulses of words and guitar...Very heartfelt, true expression.

3. Frédéric Chopin | Nocturne In E-Flat Major, Op. 9, No. 2 (Played by Arthur Rubinstein)
This is by far my favorite classical pieces. The progression of melody is amazing, the change of pace, sometimes holding longer on some few notes, it’s great. This song always calms me down. Chopin’s Nocturnes are really brilliant.

4. Dntel | Last Songs
This just feels like the epitome of a happy ending. Hearing this was the first time I had experienced glitched guitar samples on top of dusty vinyl-sounding beats and mostly electronic-composing. Dntel has been a big influence on the way I make music.

5. Electric Birds | Parallelogram
Somehow I stumbled upon an Electric Birds profile on some website when I first started high school as I was moving away from Classic and Alternative Rock. I think I heard The Postal Service which sent me on a quest to find more electronic music. This song is so calming with the ambience and delay and flowing progression of rhythm. Reminds me of waterfalls, jungles, and being amerced in a forest. Electric Birds greatly influenced my music when I had a project that was all electronic.

6. The Decemberists | The Mariner’s Revenge Song
I was so engaged in this song when I first heard it. I had just picked up Picaresque and had played it on a music player in the backseat of a car when visiting relatives. I’m not usually a fan on heavy lyric based music, the exception being this and Bright Eyes, but this was just really great. A long epic story and a great arrangement to back it. I covered this song so many times for friends and even performed it in an acting class as a monologue.

7. Celebration | Diamonds
After hearing the Blood Brothers I was on a journey to find music with mysterious moods. I found a bunch of bands, but Celebration was the best executed. The vibe of this song is really great. The keys, organ, percussions, vocals, everything fits together in a very accessible but haunting experimental pop song.

8. Múm | We Have A Map Of The Piano
The mood of this song is amazing, Múm was a band I found very early in my search for new music in high school. I don’t know how I stumbled upon them but it was right around the time I found Electric Birds. I seriously thought it was a group of preteen girls who were extremely gifted composers or something, just because Kría Brekkan’s voice. The use of unconventional sounds with musical instruments and electronic tones and editing really gave Finally We Are No One a distinct sound.

9. Feist | Lonely Lonely
This song has a great impact on me. I love the lyrics, the simple almost defeated sound of a few acoustic guitar notes, some percussive bells and other little things coming in and out of the mix was great. The building tension and energy at the climax is so powerful this is really amazing. And it took me awhile to figure out that towards the beginning a clip of the song is sampled and played really faintly in the background after Feist sings certain bars. I always a little bit upset that the end of the song didn’t keep going on for a little bit after a new guitar riff starts. Now I understand it as a nice ending, maybe it just fades too fast or something at the end I still want to hold onto it.

10. Sufjan Stevens | Come On! Feel The Illinoise!
Sufjan Stevens has such an eclectic way of creating music. Layered with as many instruments as a symphony but very modern and vocal heavy, Illinois is a fast paced great composition. You can go back and listen to a different section of instruments each time and hear it different. The time signature in this is really interesting too; Sufjan seems to have a talent at original arrangements. The piano in this song, the changing parts, the vocals, I’ve never really worn this song out.


SIDE B | by Kenzie Cooke

1. Bob Dylan | Oxford Town
Bob Dylan was my first look into non-gimmicky music or just the music my mom would play when I was little.

2. The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Spanish Bee
The Brian Jonestown Massacre was one of the first bands I came across in my search for new music. Thank God For Mental Illness was my favorite album of theirs.

3. The Unicorns | Sea Ghost
The Unicorns were one of the bands that took me away from that style of music like The Brian Jonestown Massacre and more into an upbeat electronic phase.

4. Animal Collective | The Purple Bottle
Someone played this song while I was in the backseat of their car and I was immediately hooked. It was the first Animal Collective song I had heard and to this day AC is my favorite group.

5. Kimya Dawson | Chemistry
I had a cutesy Kimya Dawson wave during my first year of high school. It’s passed.

6. of Montreal | Rapture Rapes The Muses
I used to listen to the entire Satanic Panic In The Attic album while biking to school. Kept my blood moving and warm.

7. The Flaming Lips | Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, Pt.1
Just an eternal favorite.

8. Björk | Aurora
I first heard Björk's voice in the film Dancer In The Dark by Lars Von Trier, a musical she starred in. I thought her voice was intense and looked her up and found her music. It’s equally as amazing.

9. Yeasayer | Sunrise
I love the way this song is put together. Nice beats.

10. Avey Tare & Kria Brekkan | Opis Helpus (Reverse)
My latest binge has been for Pullhair Rubeye. All of Avey Tare’s music has had a great influence on the style of music I listen to and play.


SIDE C | by Marcos Gasc

1. Animal Collective | Tikwid
A lot of Animal Collective has influenced my likings and taste in percussion. This is one of my favorite songs by them as it also influenced my use of percussion the most.

2. Born Ruffians | Knife (Grizzly Bear Cover)
It was nice hearing the rhythmic difference created in this cover. This is a great alternative to the original song as Born Ruffians offer more of an organic, or conventional, layout to it, in comparison to the band which utilizes stretched out sounds and echoes instead. This cover also makes such a good anytime listen for me.

3. Bright Eyes | Train Under Water
I’ve always been a fan of Conor Oberst and Train Under Water always manages to catch my attention when randomly played. Also, I have a lot of memory attached to it. I used to ride the train to school every morning while listening to this tune. It still remains an old time favorite.

4. Dirty Projectors | Two Doves
Here’s a song that reels me in. I get lost in Angel Deradoorian vocals and lyrics in this song every time.

5. John Lennon | Oh Yoko!
The first time I heard this song it was in the Wes Anderson film, Rushmore. The light and uplifting spirit of this song almost instantly struck a huge smile on my face. It still has that same effect when I hear it now.

6. Justin Vernon | Frail Sail
Frail Sail ends with these crazy, explosive and heartfelt percussions. This really seems to add so much emotion to this song for me. I’ve listened to a lot of Justin Vernon and his other projects but this song is where his singing and percussions have especially attracted me.

7. of Montreal | Gallery Piece
Gallery Piece seems to be me like a journal entry, where Kevin Barnes just flows out and lets loose on his feelings. I look at this song as an openly and bluntly honest message of Montreal creates - and it makes me want to dance to it.

8. Page France | The Saddest Ones
I wasn’t able to listen to Page France for a while due to all the mixed associations I had stored with it. Just recently, I downloaded the album Pear as I attempted to break away from my own restrictions. The Saddest Ones was the first song I listened to, and from there, I fell back in love with Page France all over again.

9. Panda Bear | Liebe Auf Den Ersten Blick
Here’s a song that is easy for me to listen to during any time of the day, and during any mood I’ll be in. It’s provides being a very open song which allows me to enjoy it whenever or wherever I want to.

10. Yo La Tengo | Green Arrow
Green Arrow is one of my most preferred songs that help me think and dream in the late hours of my day.