WARMER MIXTAPES #142 | by Jäje Johansson [Jay-Jay Johanson]

Can't cut it down to 10. Impossible. The smallest amount I can deliver is 16. And I really would need at least 20. Chopin, Judee Sill, Miles Davis etc. deserve to be in this list. But I'll put them next time.

1. Mahavishnu Orchestra | You Know, You Know
Discovered it pretty late, maybe ten years ago now, struck me then, strikes me still, every time I hear it. Every improvisation is totally interesting. Great structure, perfect drumming. Lovely tune. No lyrics or vocals needed.

2. Serge Gainsbourg | Melody
Heard this song, this magnificent album, back in 1992 first time. It definitely became an inspiration for my early works, and it woke up my interest for French music and culture. This orchestral arrangement is just amazing. The words so thrilling. Wish it was ten minutes longer, and it kind of is, cause it continues on the album!

3. King Crimson | I Talk To The Wind
Heard this song for the first time approximately during the same period as I heard Serge. Here again, total beauty, extraordinary sweetness, and again these adorable improvisations. Pure inspiration.

4. Nico | Chelsea Girls
This is better than anything Velvet recorded. Alternative folk. New York essence. Beauty. Attitude. This track has everything.

5. David Crosby | Laughing
I have adored Neil Young since I saw him live in 1991, and it's via Neil I discovered Crosby and his great songwriting. The end when Joni MItchell arrives on backing vocals is just totally uplifting. Every time.

6. Joni Mitchell | Coyote
This is from her best album, Hejira, and album that reminds me of the great third album Secrets Of The Beehive by David Sylvian. The wizard Jaco on bass here, no real drum beat needed.

7. John Cale | Paris 1919
John and I have met a couple of times, he's a genious. This is his best recording, better than anything Velvet ever made.

8. Lou Reed | Street Hassle
Wow, this song is often my absolute favourite if I had to pick only one. It's almost eleven minutes long, but it could have gone on forever without beeing boring. This couldn't have been made by anybody else, truly unique.

9. Portishead | The Rip
The best song by P, from their best album 3.

10. Penguin Cafe Orchestra | Perpetuum Mobile
This song has followed me since childhood. Monotone minimalism. Perfection. Playful and haunting. A great band, great performers.

+11. Chet Baker | The Thrill Is Gone (Rudy Vallée And His Connecticut Yankees Cover)
My favourite artist, my favourite voice, my biggest inspiration, by far. I saw him live in 1984 and that changed my life, totally. I have all the vocal studio recordings of Chet. It took me 15 years to collect them all. Love him madly.

+12. Nick Drake | Things Behind The Sun
His best song from his best album Pink Moon. Another great story with a sad end. He didn't make a bad recording. Short life with perfect output.

+13. Linda Perhacs | Hey, Who Really Cares?
Don't know much about her, but this is from her only album Parallellograms, marvellous songs, fantastic voice, psychedelic and charming.

+14. Beth Gibbons | Mysteries
Beth did a absolutely superb job on her solo album. It was exactly what I needed when it was released. I was in Japan at the time, and these songs brought me back home again. And I'm a homesick guy of nature.

+15. David Sylvian | Weathered Wall
David was my hero in my early teenage years. Brilliant Trees was my favourite album when I lived with my parents, and it was the most important album I took with me when I moved away from home at the age of 16.

+16. Ryuichi Sakamoto | Solitude
Sakamoto made his best album recently, to the film Tony Takitani. Fantastic film, and an even better soundtrack. Minimalism. 100% beauty.