WARMER MIXTAPES #250 | by Hugo G and James L of Flight Facilities

SIDE A | by Hugo G

Choosing 10 favourites was too hard so I coupled some songs with artists. I tried to look at it from the point of view: If I had to
carry the same songs around on my iPod forever, what would they be?... I'm 90% positive I've left off so many songs I love but this is what came to me at the time.

1. Cat Stevens | Peace Train 
+ Where Do The Children Play... It reminds me of when I was young. I grew up listening to a lot of Cat Stevens because of Dad. Recently I've been listening to it more than ever. I just got to see him in concert so that was pretty special too.

2. Harry Belafonte | Jamaica Farewell
There was a best of Harry Bellafonte CD that was always on repeat when I was younger. About a year ago my brother sent me the link to this song and I'd forgotten about it. Gives me good memories from when I was still in single digits.

3. Billy Joel | For The Longest Time 
+ River Of Dreams... Again I have my parents to thank for this. I still listen to way-too-much Billy Joel and he's definitely one of my favourite artists. These are my two favourites. I couldn't narrow it down. He was the first artist I ever saw in concert and have since seen him again once. I think he was one of those guys that I had to like or face adoption.

4. Claude Debussy | Suite Bergamasque, L 75 - Claire De Lune (Performed by Alexis Weissenberg)
The title in itself is a mouthful. I love the piano. It's probably my favourite instrument. This is just an incredible display of music and I don't think I'm capable of ever getting sick of it.

5. Bee Gees | You Win Again
There are too many good Bee Gees songs to list. I forgot about You Win Again for years but dug it up again when I left school. This one just reminds me of a particular insignificant moment but it's one that makes me happy.

6. Sébastien Tellier | Pomme 
+ Roche... + La Ritournelle... Sexuality is, in my opinion, one of the best albums released in my lifetime (so far). I've listened to it so many times. Pomme and Roche are such amazing tracks from it. I couldn't leave out La Ritournelle though. I first heard it when I started becoming interested in djing and the whole music scene and it blew my mind. It was early in the morning after a closing party. There were about 4 of us and the record needle was reset at least 6 times and nobody said a word (probably because it was such a big night - either way, it's definitely something I won't forget).

7. Roy Orbison | You Got It 
+ Dream Baby... + Only The Lonely... This is just another 'I grew up on it' answer. It's pretty funny how much of an effect listening to music when you're younger can have on you. Roy Orbison was on repeat in my house and still is to this day. Writing all this down makes me realise that my music taste makes me look like a 60 year old man.

8. David Bowie | Magic Dance
David Bowie also has too many classics to name. I love Magic Dance for the same reason I'm sure so many others love it. It was in the movie Labyrinth, a childhood favourite. I didn't even know what a David Bowie was when I was watching the movie at that age. I've grown to love the song even more over time because of the film. The fact that it was Bowie only makes it even more awesome. I really want to watch it again.

9. Paul McCartney | We All Stand Together (The Frog Song)
I have English parents so I had a heavy Beatles/Wings influence. It also meant that I used to watch Rupert Bear. I had an animation on video of Rupert visiting a cave and seeing a frog concert. I watched it more times than I can count and now, the old traditional animation is always playing in my head when I hear the song. I didn't find out til I was about 16 that it was a Paul and Linda McCartney song. Pretty simply, watching that video is another old, happy memory. I'm unable to single out any less than 5 Beatles or Wings songs so I chose this instead.

10. Daft Punk | Something About Us 
+ Veridis Quo... + Around The World... I figured my list should involve a dance music influence so I picked the guys that have stood the test of time in the world's most fickle industry. They're the best at it. Around The World is probably the best dance song ever made and Something About Us & Veridis Quo are two beautiful pieces of electronic music. Discovery is, I think, another of the best albums released in my short existence. I think Interstellar 5555 made it far better too. I can't believe it took me so long to watch it.



SIDE B | by James L

I went about this a different way, I didn't give myself much time to think so it would only be the songs that have made the most memorable impact on my musical life. I have definitely forgotten a lot of songs but I'm sure they don't mind...

1. Ludwig Van Beethoven | Moonlight Sonata (Performed by Tomasz Trzciński)
This was the first real piece of Music I fell in love with. It was the song that my kindergarten would play at nap time, all the other kids would go to sleep but I would stay up and listen to the song on repeat.

2. Cyndi Lauper | Girls Just Want To Have Fun
I found it one day in a tape player in my sisters room and stole it. Don't judge I didn't know any better. Maybe my first encounter with dance music...

3. Chris Rea | Josephine
This was my favorite song on the mixtapes my parents made me for long car trips. If I knew it was a love song back then I would have thrown the tape out of the window.

4. George Michael | Killer/Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
I found this song on a tape in the middle of the street. I was obsessed with this song for a year I think. If Girls Just Want To Have Fun was my first encounter with dance music, this song sealed
the deal.

5. John Farnham | Age Of Reason
Recently ive been playing an extended dub version of this song. It's amazing. We have defiantly referenced some elements of this song in some of our remixes.

6. Coolio | Gangsta's Paradise (feat. L.V.)
My parents used to make me go to bed pretty early so before I bought this song on tape I used to have to wait up as quiet as I could be in my room and listen to it on the radio countdown. It was always #1 so I would have to wait till the end of the show to hear it.

7. The Smashing Pumpkins | 1979
This song and its film clip are perfect. To me, it sums up a feeling of freedom. It's the perfect driving song.

8. Daft Punk | Rollin' & Scratchin' 
+ Revolution 909... Obviously Around The World got my attention first but then I heard Revolution 909 and I couldn't understand how such a repetitive song with no words could have so much vibe. Then I heard Rollin' & Scratchin' and I had never heard anything like that in my life, it was so violent but it had a purpose and a place and I loved it.

9. Radiohead | Paranoid Android 
+ All I Need... Radiohead are stupidly good. They are one of those bands that has shaped our generations music progression and these 2 songs are perfect examples. One is great with amazing instruments and guitar leads while the other just has a few instruments and a synth bass-line. Both have amazing structure and feel. Tom Yorke is a freak.

10. Interpol | Rest My Chemistry
Great band, great sound, great song.

+11. Talking Heads | This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
I'm cheating and I don't care... The lyrics so fucking good. Take a way to say something, reverse it, then make it twice as clever and lovely.