WARMER MIXTAPES #297 | by Kyle Andrews

1. David Bowie | Ashes To Ashes
Slap bass guitar is probably one of my least favorite sounds, it always makes me laugh when at a rehearsal someone picks up the bass and starts slapping away. I think it's a funny sound! I'm so addicted to this song that it took me about 10 spins to realize its very foundation is SLAP BASS. Bowie has many voices and he uses most of them in this song. Strung out in heaven's high hitting and all time low is a pretty amazing lyric. I'm not much for drugs but I wish I had done that line, I mean written that lyric. Dumb joke.

2. La Roux | I'm Not Your Toy
This video for this is mesmerizing. I CAN'T STOP LOOKING AT IT! Everyone is just wiggling in a fun way. It's a very wiggly video. The track is sharp and punchy, in sound and in the lyrics. I'd be intimidated to meet this Elly Jackson. (Do you know her? Can you introduce us?)

3. Why? | The Vowels, Pt. 2
Faking suicide for applause in the food courts of malls... I saw Faith Hill at the mall this last Holiday season. She seemed pretty normal. For no good reason I would have thought she would always be on horse back in an Oscar gown followed by photographers and autograph seekers. None of that was happening and I ended up putting back the Jenga game I was considering purchasing.

4. Pinkle | Dubai
I found Pinkle on MySpace back when that was a thing. He is literally the only music I ever found on there. He sounds creative in a very pure way. There is seemingly no regard for style, fashion, trend or anything else that could dictate artistic direction for some music makers. Pinkle is just interesting and personal and fun music.

5. Metric | Monster Hospital
You know when you have just HAD IT UP TO HERE!? But you take a deep breath and give it one more go??? AND STILL IT DOESN'T WORK?!?!?! This song is that moment of exasperation. I saw Metric play at the Exit/In in Nashville, TN on the tour for this album and it was the best show I've ever seen.

6. Smog | Rock Bottom Riser
I moved away from home when I was 19 and around that time was the last time I saw my grandmother. It's a fond memory for me, I played her some Jeff Buckley which she really seemed to enjoy. I can remember the sad little exclamation she made when I told her he had drown in the Mississippi river. Later she was being funny and saying after she passed away that if I felt a tug on my ear it was her. Kind of a funny/creepy thing to say. I've had chronic TMJ since that year so if it is her I wish she would let up already. Some of life seems to be about striking a balance between holding on and letting go, which this song captures wonderfully. A truly beautiful song. Be careful when swimming.

7. Laura Veirs | July Flame
Turn on this song and light a candle and just stare at the flame. Oh, put the song on repeat. Also, try to exist in the month of July. Aaaaand fall in love with the least appropriate person in your life. Sounds good, doesn't it?

8. Mike Posner | Please Don't Go
The keyboard on this is just hard to resist. This is the sort of song Johnny 5 would record for Ally Sheedy.

9. Depeche Mode | Everything Counts
If you are sweeping up around the house put on DEPECHE MODE! It's dance-y enough to get you moving but not so uplifting that you run out the door to do something fun.

10. Alice DeeJay | Better Off Alone
I've played this live a few times, like the Depeche Mode, it's super EMO dance music. Just crying and dancing.