WARMER MIXTAPES #343 | by Nate Santa Maria and Isaac Kappy of Monster Paws

Photos by Wes Naman and Aaron Gonzales.

SIDE A | by Isaac Kappy

1. Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard | Pancho And Lefty (Townes Van Zandt Cover)
This song is about a loss of innocence and following your inner voice, even when it means leaving people behind. Totally haunting and beautiful. I picked this version over the Townes Van Zandt version because there's a contemplative quality in Willie's voice that conjures the sparseness of a barren southwestern landscape.

2. Miike Snow | Sylvia (Robotberget Remix)
I'm thoroughly convinced that this is the best remix ever. It takes it's time and then hits you in the face.

3. Morrissey | Irish Blood, English Heart
We the people are sick and tired of business as usual. We refuse to buy into yer machinations and manipulation. We want the peace that is our birthright. That's pretty much what I hear in this song. Plus I really love the rich baritone quality that has developed in Morrissey's voice over the years.

4. Foster The People | Helena Beat
It was 3 a.m. and I was just about to slip into the nether regions of sleep when this song started blasting from the living room. Nate was throwing an after party and he wanted to show the guests this awesome song, that had been on repeat for THREE DAYS STRAIGHT!

5. Caribou | Niobe
I feel like I'm driving away from civilization as it burns in the rear view mirror when I hear this. There's a totally apocalyptic vibe, but there's a certain peace in it, as if everything is gonna be alright. It's like the soul is being purified through fire.

6. O-Zone | Dragostea Din Tei
I discovered this song pretty late but became OBSESSED. It has such a good vibe and singability that I learned the Romanian lyrics so I could sing it at karaoke.

7. Akira Soundtrack | Requiem
This is by far my favorite soundtrack of all time. Requiem has beautiful layered vocals that make me want to weep.

8. Michael Jackson | Billie Jean
If I hear this song, I will dance. It could be playing at a funeral and I will STILL dance. Michael was amazing soul and he taught me how to dance. I remember being a kid and listening to Thriller. I would try to dance like Michael on the hard wood floors in my parents' house as they looked on.

9. James Brown | Sex Machine
Again, if this is played, I will dance. I have a special dance move that I only use on this song during the breakdown where the horns stab.

10. Soft Cell | Sex Dwarf
Another dance jam in the mix. I had a drinking buddy and we would listen to this whilst driving around Hollywood, going to bars and parties. This song invites mischief like no other.




SIDE B | by Nate Santa Maria

1. The Beach Boys | God Only Knows
The whole Pet Sounds album is amazing but lately this song has been stuck in my head. I once heard it was Paul McCartney's favorite song of all time.

2. Daft Punk | Digital Love
For a couple of weeks this song has showed up in my dreams and it evokes a Saturday morning cartoon/I'm on e sorta feeling. I've been waking up and walking straight to the record player to play this.

3. Of Montreal | Gronlandic Edit
One of the best pop harmony parts ever. It shows how amazing a sparse song can be that leaves room for the vocals. I like to play it before I go out.

4. Rush | Tom Sawyer
Besides being rad this is my favorite karaoke song. Isaac says I do the best Geddy Lee ever.

5. Pinback | Penelope
Back when this song was really hot I was snowed in with four girls. We drank mimosas and whiskey and danced over and over to this song. The girls were dancing way better than me, schooling the wall, showing the wall the meant business.

6. Foster The People | Helena Beat
These dudes are catchy. Really catchy. I recently discovered them on the radio of all places (nothing but the radio works in my '87 Volvo). I couldn't get the song out of my head for a week.

7. Crystal Castles | Untrust Us
I don't know what they're saying but I want to be their robot friend. This song floats through my dreams as well. Same with Crimewave.

8. Deadmau5 | Ghosts N Stuff
They recently mashed this up with Like A G6, which actually makes G6 enjoyable. I prefer the Rob Swire version. Tasteful vocal. The instrumental sounds great when you're on stuff. (Mash-up sidenote: Mighty Mike - Imagine A Jump (John Lennon vs. Van Halen). Awesome.)

9. Talking Heads | This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
This is my favorite song from them. I like it so much that I cover it in my live loop sampling project, Excalico.

10. The Beatles | When I'm 64
We recently started a garden in the backyard and I always get the doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more part stuck in my head.