WARMER MIXTAPES #371 | by Dan Burke and Kaz Gamble of Gamble & Burke

SIDE A | by Kaz Gamble

1. Monarchy | I Won't Let Go
I love it when a song reminds me of another song and this song reminds me of two songs! So it's as if I'm listening to many songs at once while reminiscing something splendid! When I was a young my dad took me on a road trip to go hiking soon after I was diagnosed with diabetes. I now had to be responsible because of the seriousness of the medication and I remember that day being the first time that my dad spoke to me like I was an adult. He also listened to me speak the way he did with other adults. In the car we listened to Chris Isaak's album Heart Shaped World. On the cassette was the song Wicked Game. When it played we both stopped talking and we just listened. The other song that I Won't Let Go reminds me of is Vogue by Madonna - a super famous dance song that you might assume is just another silly song about some silly dance moves but the opening lyric is Look around everywhere you turn is heartache. It's everywhere that you go. It's great when party songs have sad lyrics like this. It's like dancing to the blues.

2. Bag Raiders | Sunlight
I was in the middle of a snowstorm stuck in the countryside at my girlfriend's parents' house. The roads were closed and there was no way to get back to the city. In the summer this is a great place to be but in January the swimming pool in the backyard is covered with snow and everything is frozen. But the Bag Raiders did a great job with this song capturing the Australian Sun and I could almost smell the chlorine from the pool and the chicken on the grill. Summer is my favorite season but I also enjoy looking forward to summer during the winter.

3. Fenech-Soler | Demons
So good - nasty synths, chill chords, dance beats, cool voice, and a big chorus with a long say noooo and let gooooo! & Stone Bridge is sweet too!! I love the build up and release of tension and the singalong chorus.

4. Holy Ghost! | Wait & See
These guys are the Lieber & Stoller of indie blog music. I love them. When I'm not being jealous of their songwriting and production abilities I am singing along and dancing.

5. Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto | The Girl From Ipanema (with Astrud Gilberto & Antonio Carlos Jobim) (Pery Ribeiro's 'Garota De Ipanema' Cover)
Top 3 greatest song ever. I've had the Getz/Gilberto version on repeat since 1963.


6. Adrian Lux | Teenage Crime
Great track, great lyrics. And the video could be turned into feature length film.

7. Cutty Ranks | Limb By Limb
The first time I DJ'd in a proper big club in NYC was while I was working the lighting board and the DJ showed up late. I always brought my records just in case something like that happened and after my first lucky break I ended up being hired as the warm up DJ. Unfortunately the club went under before I became the next Daniel Tenaglia. Or maybe that was a good thing. Not sure yet. Anyway, one of the DJ's loved playing this song even though he was a house DJ and this is a dance hall track. People went crazy whenever he played it and I recently played it at a gig and it had a similar reaction.

8. Fabolous | You Be Killin' 'Em
I'm a sucker for the Melvin Bliss breakbeat. We actually just used it on our live mash up cover of Daft Punk/New Edition. So many classic artists have used this break on classic joints - Ultramagnetic MC's, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Paris, Naughty By Nature, Gang Starr, Wu-Tang Clan. Lyrically Fabolous doesn't bring his best on this one but whatever... This track is still fire.

9. Mac Miller | Knock Knock
Wiz Khalifa's labelmate struck gold with this sample of Linda Scott's I've Told Every Little Star. Her version was recorded in 1961 but originally written for a Broadway musical by legends Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein.

10. Lenka | You Will Be Mine
Australians have been really doing it for me for the past decade. Ever since the Avalanches, I've been getting hooked on groups like Cut Copy, Empire Of The Sun, Sneaky Sound System, Midnight Juggernauts, The Presets, Bag Raiders, Van She, and Rob Swire. I also loved Saint Etienne/Sarah Cracknel and this reminds of them and her.


SIDE B | by Dan Burke

1. Bobby Caldwell | Open Your Eyes
The heavily-sampled basis of Common's The Light which I also always love!

2. Cee-lo Green | I Want You
I just love his damn voice all day long!

3. Pilot Talk | The Hangover
I love this vibey party jam. Strings, jazzy guitar and a tight electro beat. Perfect Ski Beatz production. Whole album's bad ass, in fact.

4. Gypsy & The Cat | Time To Wander
A fellow Kitsuné Compilation 9 artist who I've fallen in love with. Voice makes me think of Christopher Cross' Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)... How fresh is that?

5. Robyn | Hang With Me
How many times am I gonna have to listen to this before I don't need to hear it anymore? Heartbreaker sweet lyrics, beautiful synth arp and Robyn's extremely loveable voice!! Thank you, Robyn. I wanna hang with you.

6. The-Dream | Yamaha
Damn I love everything this fool does!!! Great use of those Linn Drum Prince-y drum sounds. I love fast tempo songs where the drums are the only things playing fast - just all synth pad-type shit elsewhere.

7. Arthur Russell | That's Us/Wild Combination
Again, rockin' beat with mostly atmospheric sounds and keys otherwise. No bass, total sweet lyrics and vocals. Yo, Robyn - Have you heard this track?? You'd love it, I'll bet.

8. Johann Johannsson | Odi Et Amo
Such a lovely juxtaposition pure sinewave-ish talkbox vocal and warm string arrangement. This piece always reminds me of Iceland, which is where I first heard this.

9. Elis & Tom | Águas De Março
Just Elis Regina and Antonio Carlos Jobim sexy bossa playfulness. It’s got that happy/sad saudade.

10. Kool & The Gang | Get Down On It
I don't know if this is too obvious of a choice but yo, J.T.'s voice is pure butter! You can't hear this and not join the dance party.