WARMER MIXTAPES #457 | by Mic Newman

1. Moodymann | Shades Of Jae
No doubt a classic and IMO one of Mr. Kenny Dixon Jr.’s finest releases. I still play it in almost all of my sets, the same dusty old vinyl, which I’ve had for the better part of a decade. It ALWAYS gets the party started. It’s like the Duracell Bunny of House; it won’t let you down.

2. Master C & J | Face It (Leftside Wobble Edit)
I believe that when it comes to Music, context is almost as important as the music itself. This is one of those instances where I didn't really vibe this record in the store, but bought it anyway because it was a classic and a Trax Record and thought I should probably buy this because it’s a classic and a Trax Record. When I played it for the first time, it was intended as a gap-filler but the atmosphere in the club and sound system (and obviously the track itself) changed my perception entirely. It was a highlight and is now one of my favourite records.

3. Blake Baxter | Our Luv
Not sure exactly how old this is, but I have feeling it’s been around a while. Probably because the record company re-pressed a series entitled Classics. Anyhow, it chugs along beautifully with just the right amount of Soul, Acid and a lovely vocal hook, which repeats the phrase our love… will last for-ev-er’ without it ever getting tired. It has a unique summer terrace-slash-warehouse party juxtaposition, making it the perfect record to have in your box.

4. Takuya Matsumoto | Jump Rope Music
The word masterpiece comes to mind here. Probably one of the most unique House records I’ve heard. What makes it even better, is that it’s virtually impossible to obtain. If you don’t own the record, it doesn’t exist. Which makes it all the more exciting when you hear it or somehow get your hands on it. It reminds me (with the little memory I have) of the pre-Internet days of Music.

5. Jin Choi | You've Done Me Wrong
I bought this a few months back for the B-Side, completely overlooking the rest. I played the A side at Fabric by mistake and I was completely blown away by the excellent use of the sampled vocal hook. Haven’t been able to shake it from my brain ever since. As a music maker, if you can achieve that, you’ve clocked music.



6. Virgo Four | It's A Crime (Caribou Remix)
Caribou remixing Virgo Four? I could end it right there! This was always going to be good, without really knowing what to expect, except that it was going to be good. Which says a lot about both artists reputation. There are many peaks and troughs, and it’s so gosh darn analogue, it makes me sick. The chord stabs that come into play around the half way mark are undeniably awesome and the hook of the track. The only fault I can pick is that it may be too awesome.

7. Julio Bashmore | Battle For Middle You
It’s hard to describe the feeling I got in my pants when I first heard this. Not sure which had more of an impact, the time Carl Cox played it at Glastonbury or the other time I heard it at Space. Either way, it stayed with me. Both times I was amongst super charged crowds of several thousands. I suppose context played its part here too. At first I thought it might have been something from the likes of Basement Jaxx or the sort. But on second listen, it’s very much a House tune, but with obvious Grime, Drum n Bass and maybe even Dub Step (in a good way) influences. It’s always nice to hear something different in a scene that’s sadly oversaturated with mediocrity.

8. Boo Williams | Mortal Trance
It’s rare, especially in Dance music, for records to still be doing the rounds after a decade or so. This one does. Its enigmatic title; Mortal Trance couldn’t be further from the truth, it should be renamed; Immortal Trance. Its dreamy pads and wonky, syncopated bassline, somehow always sound fresh.

9. Todd Terje | Ragysh
I’m probably not alone in saying that this has been my ‘get out of jail card’ for some time now. It’s never EVER failed to blow the roof off. I love that it doesn’t, like all the best ones, have any inclination what so ever to anything en Vogue at the moment.

10. Theo Parrish | Falling Up
It’s pretty hard to choose a favourite when it comes to Theo Parrish’s music, so I’m not going to pretend this is, but it comes pretty close. It’s lovemaking on an MPC.