WARMER MIXTAPES #1043 | by Babatunde Teemituoyo Doherty and Julian Lafayette-Terry Randolph of Voices Of Black

SIDE A | by Julian Lafayette-Terry Randolph

1. Kool & The Gang | You Don't Have To Change
This song is Special. It's truly one of my Favorite Songs Ever and made me realize how much I Love the 70's as an Era for Music. Also Kool & The Gang is from JERSEY!

2. Bootsy's Rubber Band ‎ | May The Force Be With You
Everything about this song is Perfect. Everything! I was in the 10th Grade, had a major crush on this girl. I didn't smoke weed but I Loved Black and Milds. I smoked a Black and Mild with her and put this on. She called me Weird and made Fun of me. She made me turn it off. It was then I realized I like Music more than Women. I never spoke to her again. Ever. That moment I realized I don't Love anything more than Music.

3. Bone Thugs-N-Harmon | 1st Of Tha Month
Saw the Video as a baby and wanted Long Hair, Chucks, and Flannel. It was also one of the First Songs I Memorized Without Really Knowing The Lyrics. (If you're a Bone Thugs fan you understand.)

4. Was (Not Was) | Wheel Me Out
Baba put me onto this my Senior Year of High School, right before College. It's Timeless and prob' the Best Relatively Unknown Song of All Time. (If that's possible.)

5. Pink Floyd | Any Colour You Like
I remember hearing it as a kid at like age 9 or 10 when 92.3 K-Rock existed. I never knew the Title, but taped the Radio onto a Cassette. I saw the song in Colors and then years later found out who and what it was and realized how much I liked Psychadellic Rock.

6. Parliament Funkadelic | Flashlight
My Pops played it for me when I was 10 years old. All jokes aside, I remember staying in the room for 3 hours listening to it over and over.

7. Kendrick Lamar | A.D.H.D
First heard it in 2011. That was actually when I first heard of Kendrick Lamar and it was the first song I heard by him. That song spoke to my Soul and it was the first time I felt a Rapper was being 100% True and Honest and I could personally relate on every Level of every Word and every Line in that song.

8. Omega | Gyöngyhajú Lány 
True story, in 2012 my Sister (who always is Years Ahead of the Curb and actually has helped shape my Musical Taste) sent me a text in the middle of the night telling me I should listen to this Hungarian band Omega. I listened to the song and realized it may have become one of my Favorite Songs of All Time. Instantly. She then, I kid you not, told me that I should Sample it and use it before someone like Kanye West does. I kid you not, I then watched the New Slaves Projection while NYC, and heard the song at the end. Funny.

9. Stevie Wonder | Knocks Me Off My Feet
Well... The best way to say it is that this song is so good I stopped listening to it so much when I began Producing Music. It makes me crazy Insecure about my Musicianship and Ability to Write Chord Progressions and Bridges. Undoubtedly, one of the Best Ballads I've Ever Heard In My Life and one of the Most Well Arranged Songs of Our Time. By one of the Greatest Musicians of the Past Two Centuries. Enough Said.

10. Madvillain | Eye (feat. Stacy Epps)
Somehow that Beat as an Instrumental defines my entire Life. I don't know how, but it does. I can play it whenever, wherever, and I will reflect on my entire Life. Madlib is a Genius.


SIDE B | by Babatunde Teemituoyo Doherty

1. Fela Anikulapo-Kuti & Egypt '80 | O.D.O.O. (Overtake Don Overtake Overtake) 
My Parents are both Nigerian, and my Father is very close with the Kuti family, so naturally I grew up listening to a lot of Fela Kuti in the house. This is by far one of my favorite tunes of his. This one he did at a later time in his life when he had the Egypt 80 band, and his Compositions had reached a Very High Level of Complexity. The main Groove of this tune is what really gets me, the band is just so locked in and in the pocket that I just cant help but wanna move to it and smile from within.

2. T.S. Monk | Bon Bon Vie (Gimme The Good Life)
Plus Roy Ayers - Running Away... I put a tie between both of these songs because of their Equal Level of Funky Greatness. Both have the Illest Grooves and just make you wanna get down. The Synth Line in the Chorus of Bon Bon Vie Sounds like Whipped Cream with a Cherry on top of a Milkshake, if that makes any sense. In regards to the Roy Ayers song, I'm a really big fan of how he incorporated an Unorthodox Chorus Line, where towards the end there's like two different Choruses singing together at the same time and bouncing off one another. Genius. Also a Sidenote, when I first heard it I was in the car with my Mom when I was little and I told her that I Loved this song and couldn't understand why. She then laughed and said that when it came out (my Parents were both teens during the Disco Era) it was my Dad's favorite song and he even had his own Special Dance for it where he would wag his index finger and shake his head from side to side.

3. Bob Marley & The Wailers | African Herbsman
I grew up listening to a shit-ton of Bob Marley. I'm more of a fan of his earlier stuff because of the Rawness of the Production. I like the Simplicity of the song and how its so Sparse, and the Lyrics have a real Melancholic feel. Simply Beautiful.

4. The Beatles | I Am The Walrus
I have Very High Tolerance for Weird and Out There Music, and the Beatles were obviously one of the Early Pioneers of Really Weird and Out There Music. I really Love the Nonsense Lyrics and how the song just descends into Complete Chaos towards the End.

5. The Eastsidaz | I Pledge Allegiance (feat.  Kokane & Priest "Soopafly" Brooks)
OK, so... Both Jules and I are huge fans of West Coast Hip Hop and the whole Culture and Style that surrounds it. For me the Eastsidaz was literally the First Hip Hop CD I Ever Bought. I remember listening to it with my Dad, which was kind of awkward coz' of the Dirty Lyrics and the fact that I was probably about 14 years old. Despite that fact, we both agreed that they were Rhyming over the Funkiest Beats and I was hooked. This song in particular also checks off the Weird, Wild and Out There box and is a definite head nod to the Gods Parliament Funkadelic. P-Funk to the G-Funk. What more can I say.



6. Erykah Badu | Didn't Cha Know
Erykah Badu is a True Nubian Queen, I've had a crush on her for the longest! But all jokes aside, this song is a Shining Example of the Greatness that was J Dilla, before people even really knew who he was.

7. Common | Nag Champa (Afrodisiac For The World)
My Dad actually bought Common's Like Water For Chocolate for me and I must say this album changed my Life. I always go back to listening to this Masterpiece from Start to Finish. Nag Champa is the Best Song for a Rainy Grey Day when all you wanna do is Stay In and Light some Incense and be Real Zen, maybe even sit Indian Style.

8. The Roots | The Next Movement
Love the Groove on this song, I gotta give the utmost props to the Roots for never compromising their Sound and really marrying the idea of a Jazz Band and a Hip-Hop Act so seamlessly together. ?uestlove is a ridiculously tight Drummer, at times I don't even really understand how he's that tight. He literally never misses a Beat. Also, the Music Video is a good laugh.

9. Radiohead | Climbing Up The Walls (Zero 7 Mix) 
This is the Perfect Song to Fly on a Plane To. I found this song at a time when I had just been shown Radiohead's Kid A and was immediately attracted to how Weird it was. At the same time I was also discovering Boards Of Canada, TRS-80, Massive Attack, etc. This song now always reminds me of that period of my Life where I experienced a real Musical Epiphany and started getting into the idea of Electronic Music for the first time.

10. Pylon | Cool
This song has so much Raw Energy and a stark Simplicity. It gets the Blood Warm. I Love Vanessa Hay's Vocals. Her delivery sounds Empowered and Confident, but not Icy... She sounds like she'd be a great person to engage in a crazy pillow fight with feathers flying all over the room and shit like that.