WARMER MIXTAPES #1093 | by Peter St James [Ghost Academy/Yushichi]

1. Depeche Mode | Enjoy The Silence 
I have mad love for the 80s, and with its unapologetic synths and vocals, this song is my definition of that decade. Sometimes words are very unnecessary.

2. A Tribe Called Quest | Electric Relaxation
After School, a lot of chilling out to A Tribe Called Quest. Q-Tip and Phife Dawg had flow unlike anything else I'd heard at the time. (Must also mention Chali 2na from J5, my favourite for flow and voice, alongside Biggie Smalls).

3. Jan Hammer | Crockett's Theme (Miami Vice Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
In a time when raw synths roamed free in the company of neon spandex and getaway yachts, there was Crockett's Theme from Miami Vice. I think I'm comfortable saying it contains my favourite chord progression of all time. That melody never fails to cast its spell on me.



4. Caesars | Only You 
It's a throwback to my High School summers and I just think it's a fun song with awkwardly sweet lyrics.

5. Boards Of Canada | Roygbiv
When I'm in the mood for a warm hug of nostalgia, I go for the retro, Lo-Fi analog sounds of Boards. Roygbiv happens to be my favourite track of theirs - I can't get enough of the way the major and minor tones play off each other.

6. Kendrick Lamar | A.D.H.D
I love this track. There's something about Kendrick's style that intrigues me - I imagine him in the studio just doing whatever feels good. A.D.H.D stands out to me as one of the tracks that makes me at the very least start to understand a different level of Songwriting...

7. Claude Debussy | Suite Bergamasque: 3. Claire De Lune (Played by Isao Tomita)
I would love to be able to play this one day. I've tried a few times to sit down and learn it on my own, but I've never been good at reading Sheet Music. It's an incredibly pretty piece of Classical Music.

8. Death Cab For Cutie | I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Death Cab was big in my teenage years. This one speaks to my emo side. Yeah, I said it.

9. Bonobo | Flutter 
Bonobo introduced me to the world of Sampling and Chopping live instruments and sounds to build up new soundscapes. I first heard Flutter in the soundtrack of a Snowboarding game and looked up what it was because it sounded so fresh and unique. That was years ago… Bonobo's still killing it today with his originality and attention to detail, his latest album was one of my favourites releases of last year.

10. Snoop Doggy Dogg | Who Am I (What's My Name?) (feat. Dr. Dre)
Snoop was the first album I bought on CD, when I was twelve. Actually, he was the first four CDs I ever bought. When I got that first one, to be honest all I wanted was to listen to some Rap, any Rap. Also that black and white parental advisory logo made me feel cool. But when I got home and listened to Snoop's album, I immediately felt the need for more. This is one track I can't help but Rap along with every time.