WARMER MIXTAPES #1143 | by Seth Persons [Persons/Andy's Tea Party] of Adam & Yves

1. El Perro Del Mar | Candy
When I lived in Székesfehérvár, we went through what we were told was the coldest winter they'd had in 100 years. It was certainly the coldest one I'd ever experienced, and lovelorn and lonely, I slid into a funk that coincided with the cold. I listened to this album every morning, because I related to the resignation in her voice. I think this album, still one of my favorites, is essentially someone saying I am unbelievably sad, but if I keep pretending I'm not, maybe one day I'll convince myself.

2. El Perro Del Mar | Change Of Heart
I have to put this one on here too, because I think it may be the perfect song. I never get tired of listening to it.

3. Janet Jackson | The Pleasure Principle
Janet Jackson has recently reentered my life with a vengeance due to a close friend of mine. I think she's really underrated as a performer, and this is one of my favorites. You can't listen to this song and not want to dance.

4. Kate Bush | Get Out Of My House
Kate Bush is easily my favorite musician, and this song is batshit and amazing. I dream of us covering this song one day with all of the voices and donkey noises intact.

5. Róisín Murphy | Let Me Know
I don't understand why she's not more popular worldwide. Both Ruby Blue and Overpowered are immaculate Pop albums. She's a serious performer, but she doesn't take herself too seriously, doing everything with her sense of humor intact and on display.

6. Nico | The Falconer
Desertshore is easily in my top three favorite albums of all time, and this is perhaps my favorite song from it. Listening to this album is my version of going to church. John Cale's almost medieval production and Nico's dark, cryptic lyrics, monotone delivery, and eerie harmonium all combine to create one of the most intense and rewarding listening experiences ever put to tape.

7. Sian Alice Group | Way Down To Heaven
We've been fortunate to have opened for Sian Alice Group both times they've come to Birmingham. They're one of the most mesmerizing live acts I've ever seen, and we're really inspired by them (go buy their albums now). One of the songs from our EP was actually written as a response of sorts to this song. The lyrics to this song are I'm on my way to Heaven, but the music is dark and churning, which gives what might otherwise be a hopeful statement a feeling of unease and fear. So our song Golden Palace was written as a continuation of the story. What happens when you finally get there? Our answer: you get the fuck out as fast as you can.

8. Frida Hyvönen | Dirty Dancing
God, this song makes me ache. Young love lost and reencountered in adulthood. The pain of remembering those feelings and wondering what if? and the acknowledgement of how much we change over the years.

9.  Astrud Gilberto/Walter Wanderley | Goodbye Sadness (Tristeza)
I got into her through my dad. You can't be unhappy while listening to this song.

10. Psychologist | Missed (PJ Harvey Cover)
PJ Harvey is up there with Kate Bush as one of my favorite songwriters, but I couldn't quite decide which of her songs to include here. I opted instead to go with this cover of Missed, because Iain Woods has a gorgeous voice and his interpretation of this song, which introduces tenderness and melancholy to what was once a desperate plea, makes me love it even more. He's got a couple of 12"s which I recommend tracking down.

+11. Arthur Russell | Get Around To It
I feel like this is a playful and relaxed song about sex with someone you love, a feeling that I aspire to, but thus far feel incapable of. I hope to one day have someone that I can relate to like this. Until then, the song will do.

+12. Simon Bookish | Alsatian Dog
This is one of those songs that when you hear it for the first time and immediately press back and listen to it again (and again). Because the lead is long and Life's so long. It's so damn fun.

+13. Martika | Love…Thy Will Be Done
Since my friend introduced this song to me the other day, I've listened to it over and over. It's best heard for the first time in conjunction with the video, which is gorgeous.

+14. The Knife | Colouring Of Pigeons (feat. Mt. Sims)
I probably ought not to drive while listening to this song because I get too involved. It's just so epic!

+15. Antony And The Johnsons | Christina's Farm
If you want to see me cry, put on something by Antony And The Johnsons. This song is no exception. It's gorgeous and haunting, slowly building in a slow, intense and almost erotic crescendo that feels as if it will never offer any resolution or relief as Antony sings, over and over, Everything is new... Every sock and shoe... My face and your face... Tenderly renewed until it finally returns to the motif from the beginning of the song, almost as if it's going to start all over again.