WARMER MIXTAPES #1266 | by Christopher Soetan and Tobi Soetan of Sprawlhunt

SIDE A | by Tobi Soetan

1. Arcade Fire | Reflektor
Any mood, any day, any place, any time, doesn’t matter, I don’t care, I’m listing to this song at least once a day for the rest of my life. This song should have been longer.

2. Caribou | Odessa
I would certainly want Dan Snaith to produce the entirety of a Sprawlhunt album.

3. Kanye West | I Am A God (feat. God)
I’ll admit that the reason I love this song is because of the teaser with Rick Rubin. Either way, the second verse is like nothing I have ever heard.

4. Kid Cudi | My World (feat. Billy Cravens)
My favourite album by Scott Mescudi. Before the album was released, I had listened to the teaser on YouTube like 300 thousand times. The teaser video had 30 second clips of each song.

5. David Bowie | Lady Stardust
Lady Stardust sang his songs of Darkness and Dismay and he was alright.

6. Devonté Hynes | Palo Alto (Palo Alto Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
I occasionally listen to soundtracks and this song just makes sense. It easily tops anything from Cupid Deluxe. I still haven’t seen the movie, but I’ve listened to this song a lot of times.

7. Pink Floyd | Comfortably Numb
I really love this song. The second solo is amazing, and the song writing is nice. Sometimes I have dreams of myself performing this one.

8. The Replacements | Unsatisfied
#include
int main(void)
{
int song;

do
{
printf(“Name of song: ");
song = GetInt();
if(song == opposite of title)
{
printf(“I Love This Song!\n”);
}
}
while (same as title);
}


9.
Alvvays | Archie, Marry Me
I only heard this song a couple of weeks ago. Very simple and noisy. If my name was Archie I would marry this song.


10.
Sharon Van Etten | Every Time The Sun Comes Up
This lady can sing and play guitar. I don’t know what kind of trouble she’s in, but I really like the vocal melodies & harmonies on this song.


+11.
Kid Cudi | Man On The Moon (The Anthem)
For me, this was the biggest shift in Hip Hop. This is Kid Cudi as a whole I’m talking about.



SIDE B | by Christopher Soetan

1. Kanye West | Through The Wire
This song and Ghetto Gospel are the only Hip Hop records that have ever made me tear up or cry... In a very subtle way, you know? Something about it just touches the center right point of a kid's soul... I'm pretty sure it's the fact that he's rapping some personal/vulnerable/real life shit with his mouth half shut. Can't forget about that beautiful Soul sample though. Shit can change a human's life.

2. Clipse | Virginia
I remember walking into the Stussy Toronto store back when it used to be located on Richmond St. Downtown Toronto. If you ain't know... Google it. Anyway, all I heard was a Grimey, dark tune with what I thought was high pic he'd vocals riding the beat. I had no clue who the artist were or what the name of the song was, but I made sure I had I'm from Virginia in my head all the way 'til I got home. Googled it and voilĂ ! I had the whole Lord Willin' album. Shouts to The Neptunes on the beat.

3. Erykah Badu | Didn't Cha Know
I discovered this song because J. Cole sampled it in one of his earlier mixtapes. I really don't want to research what the song was this time in Life, but... This song really puts me in a relaxed state mentally and it seem like I'm always reflecting on my life whenever I start listening to. I start taking in everything around me as if I'm an alien that just dropped in Toronto at 7:16pm. Good shit.

4. James Blake | Limit To Your Love (Feist's 'The Limit To Your Love' Cover)
I'm pretty sure I was watching MTV Live - back when that was a thing. And the music video for it was showing in one of those MTV commercials that show a music video for like 30 seconds or something. Anyways, the soulful sound grabbed my attention and this is before I heard the full track. Hearing the other instruments come in just took my love for the track to another level. This was my introduction to James Blake. And he has never disappointed since.

5. Cam'ron | Down And Out (feat. Kanye West and Syleena Johnson)
I get approached by animal activists. I live in a zoo... I run scandals with savages. THAT LINE SOOO GOOD. That's one of my favourite Hip Hop lines ever. It just sounds so cool. I'm sorry. Besides the simple fact that it's a classic Kanye collaboration. From the production to hook to the verses. Cam is simply the man. Take ya girl, fuck her face (if you weren't weren't quoting that back then, you're probably one of them hipster New Age kids wearing the pink fur and cell phone Cam'ron tee, saying it now... WHILE twisting your wrists)... Bodyguard for what? Dog, I'd rather shoot. Classic Cam.



6. OutKast | ATliens
I remember my friend Logan telling me to check out OutKast and all their albums. This situation also made me realize that when someone suggests you to listen to a great artist(s) or great album you should never force it, you really just have to WANT to listen and take it all in WHEN you WANT to. With that being said, OutKast were one of those artists for me where I tried listening to their whole discography and I just wasn't feeling it all that much - it just wasn't something one could force or rush. The Music was too different to do that, you really had to take it in (like Sprawlhunt). Couple months down I came across the song ATliens while my iPod was on shuffle and from there Aquimini became one of my favourite albums EVER. I still randomly... And I mean RANDOMLY... Say my oral illustration be like clitoral stimulation to the female gender. So good.

7. James Blake | Retrograde
Just expensive. If that bridge or hook DOESN'T TOUCH YOUR SOUL!!!... You're the Devil's nephew.

8. M.I.A. | Paper Planes
This song just always... ALWAYS... Never failed to make me feel like a drug dealer that doesn't look like the typical drug dealer. A drug dealer of these days. You know those ones? Yeah... Don't ask me why. This is like the "end of a long day of drug dealing to hipsters" song. And of course the all I wanna to do is... *gun shot* x 4 is just really feels powerful to me. Probably 'cuz I always liked the *gun shot* effect or just guns in general. Also hearing it play in the Slumdog Millionaire scene made me like the song even more. It just made sense. Two years and some months later after taking in Arular and Kala, she's one of my favourite artists ever.

9. MGMT | Electric Feel
This is another scenario of me watching MTV Live and one them commercials that show a music video clip came on, this time it was Electric Feel. I was just drawn to it. The weird, Nigerian movie looking music video and the beat was just expensive. I haven't really heard anything like it before. It's really what started the interest in Indie Rock, Pop, Synth Pop, Experimental, etc. I remember I was so excited to tell my brother about it. Crazy.

10. Kendrick Lamar | Heaven & Hell (feat. Alori Joh)
I lied. THIS, Through The Wire and Ghetto Gospel are the ONLY Hip Hop songs that have ever made me cry. Pretty much one of the best songs to sum up my rapping style inspirations. Shouts to Kendrick.