WARMER MIXTAPES #1393 | by Emily Hearn

1. The Envy Corps | Party Dress
I remember the first time I heard The Envy Corps. It was the Summer of 2007 and I was a counselor at a sports camp over the summer. There was a band at the camp, and we all thought they were so cool. And this was before I taught myself to play guitar and started to write songs in 2008. When I think back, maybe this band was a big part of inspiring me to start writing my own Music. After a summer of adoring The Envy Corps, I went home and bought their album Dwell. Party Dress quickly became my favorite on the album, and eventually an all-time favorite song of mine.

2. Ray LaMontagne | Burn
I got my first record player for Christmas a few years ago, and the first album that I bought was Trouble by Ray LaMontagne. I've always loved that whole album, but when I listened to it on vinyl it just came alive in a whole different way. I heard the song Burn and for some reason I knew immediately I would never get tired of it. It's so emotional, so raw, so sad, so good.

3. Patty Griffin | Time Will Do The Talking 
When I was in College I had the most wonderful best friends. We used to walk all over campus together and talk about Life, go to concerts together, sit in the park between classes and have picnics, and we even rescued a puppy from the side of the road together and snuck it into our dorm room for a night until it got better. I remember one summer afternoon we were riding through Athens, GA with the windows down and my friend Grace put on an old Patty Griffin record. Her voice was so soothing, and her song was so imperfectly perfect. I fell in love with Time Will Do The Talking and it became the song of our friendship and of our whole College experience.

4. Dixie Chicks | Wide Open Spaces 
We listened to all sorts of different Music when I was growing up, but my parents really only had a few albums that stayed on repeat and earned the spot as true, lasting favorites. Those albums were James Taylor: Greatest Hits, Amy Grant: Home For Christmas and Dixie Chicks: Wide Open Spaces. I have favorites from each one that will always make me smile, but one song that really lodged itself into my heart was Wide Open Spaces. I identified with it so much: it was something about that feeling of wanting to get out of a small town and find real adventure. I learned to sing harmonies by practicing while I sang along to this song. I think I'll love it forever.

5. John Denver | Take Me Home, Country Roads
Although no one in my family writes songs, I think I got my musical talent from my dad. I remember he used to get out his old guitar and play only 3 songs - Two Of A Kind, Workin' On A Full House cover by Garth Brooks, Give Back My Heart by Lyle Lovett and Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver. I still love all 3 songs so much, but Take Me Home, Country Roads will always be my favorite. It reminds me of him.

6. Sia | Chandelier 
My newest favorite -- so emotional and beautiful. When I saw the Music Video I became obsessed with the song even more. I love Sia and I'm so intrigued and captivated by this song.

7. Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong | Let's Call The Whole Thing Off (Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers Cover)
I couldn't be more in love with Jazz Music right now. I went to one of my favorite thrift stores in Athens, GA (where I live) and was looking for good records to play on my new record player. I randomly found an Ella And Louis Again duet record and figured I'd give it a try. It's become my favorite album of all time! I listen every day, multiple times--it's my happy place. I've since researched and learned that Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong did 3 duet records together. I'm totally in love with all three. But the song Let's Call The Whole Thing Off was probably my first true favorite. I remembered hearing it in When Harry Met Sally which is one of my very favorite movies. So all of the memories came flooding back. That's what good Music will do to you.

8. Taylor Swift | Style
The new Taylor Swift record is amazing. It's hard to pick a favorite, but Style is so smooth, I love it. I love running to this song, it makes me feel like I can do anything.

9. Lorde | Ribs
I honestly didn't jump on the Lorde train right away. I liked Royals, but never really gave her other songs a good listen until recently. Ribs is the most amazing song. I have it on my flying playlist, so it makes me think of being in an airplane 30,000 feet above the rest of the World.

10. HAIM | The Wire 
This song is my jam. The HAIM sisters are so cool, and I love that the vocals aren't showy, because it's so much more about the feel. I jammed to this song every day for a month. It makes me happy and want to dance.