WARMER MIXTAPES #1513 | by Peter Hayes (The Brian Jonestown Massacre) of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Photo by Michelle Shiers

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience | If 6 Was 9
White collar conservative flashing down the street, pointing their plastic finger at me, they're hoping soon my kind will drop and die, I’m gonna wave my freak flag high I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to dieThis song, the album and his other albums were my life growing up, this song was speaking my subtle anger before I found NIN.



2. Johnny Cash | Another Man Done Gone (with Anita Carter) (Vera Hall Cover)
This is a real heavy song they say it’s written about the death of a man on a chain gang. I was introduced to it with the Johnny Cash version, not sure who wrote the song, Vera Hall with Alan Lomax seem to have been the first to record it.

3. Little Walter | As Long As I Have You
This was the first Bluesy type record I listened to from start to finish, witch opened the door for everyone. The record is called Hate To See You Go.


4. Lead Belly | Pick A Bale Of Cotton 
I just love the rhythms going on in this song, there’s been a few covers like the one by Brownie McGhee And Sonny Terry in the movie The Jerk, but I don’t think it could ever be matched, no offense to Mr. Cash’s version either.



5. The Band | Up On Cripple Creek
This was the first Band song I heard, the keyboard sound threw me off, but in a good way I guess I kept listening and I’m glad I did.



6. The Velvet Underground | That’s The Story Of My Life
Since I heard it I’ve thought this was the best way to end any album. The song makes me want to turn around and listen to the whole record again.



7. Nine Inch Nails | Wish
I hate everyone... This along with Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd sum up my mental state, this album got me through a lot of work days.



8. Bruce Springsteen | My Father’s House
Calling and calling, so cold and alone, shining across this dark highway, where our sins lie un-atoned... A friend of ours Charles Mehling turned me on to this album when we were doing one of our first van tours around the US. I heard that line and thought it was the best last line of a song ever.

9. Sister Rosetta Tharpe | Nobody’s Fault But Mine (Blind Willie Johnson's 'It's Nobody's Fault But Mine' Cover)
Some people say Chuck Berry was borrowing from her a lot. I can’t help but smile with every song she does. At first I didn’t know she played guitar and loved her, and it blew my mind when I found out she was the one playing.



10. Ramones | Beat On The Brat 
We all need it now and then. Some things should stay simple.