WARMER MIXTAPES #1527 | by Phillips Saylor Wisor [H. DJ Pancake]/(The Shiftless Rounders, King Wilkie) of Stripmall Ballads, Bikes On Cops and Roof Beams

1. Charley Patton | A Spoonful Blues
I'm a sucker for Junkie Blues. Around the 2 minute mark there's a line, I'm gonna hit the jugular. Fucking intense! Musically, I like how the tempo rushes throughout the song. As a guitar player, I can relate to that happening. In this context, however, such an occurrence isn't a mistake in the slightest. It's just perfect. That's inspiring.

2. Charlie Butler | Diamond Joe (Traditional Song Cover)
I love how Charlie sings the word mountain. His vocal breaks are not only gorgeous inflections from a master ballad singer, but they also freed my thinking to celebrate my own vocal quirks.

3. Yusef Lateef | The Plum Blossom
Five notes. Melody, solo. Five notes. Heart matters more than notes. When I was his student he said, The most important notes are the ones you don't play. Chew on that for a while.

4. Songs: Ohia | Peoria Lunch Box Blues
Pure beauty. Steve Albini + Jason Molina = perfect. Scout Niblett is singing and it makes me feel funny...

5. Nina Simone | Suzanne (Judy Collins Cover)
More proof that original versions of songs are not the definitive versions of songs.



6. Lungfish | Love Will Ruin Your Mind
So true, so true...

7. Vince Staples | Summertime
Vince Staples is a new favorite. His entire debut album is great. Vince raps like Frank Sinatra sang.

8. Bad Livers | Death Trip
From the groundbreaking (read: under-appreciated) album Blood & Mood. Pretty much, this album predated the O, Brother, Where Art Thou Folk revival and is still more forward-thinking than most releases in the genre today. Danny Barnes taught me that American Folk Music is as weird as you want it to be.

9. Lonesome Brothers | Took Me For A Ride
Jim and Ray have taught me so much; from how to write hooks to how to silence a crowded bar with a guitar lick. How to find Joy in Music in the face of Relative Obscurity. How to live a life when there's not a guitar in your hands. Eerily, this song is more autobiographical for me than most of the things I write myself.

10. Dwight Diller | Yew Pine Mountain
One of the last remaining clawhammer banjo masters. Intense dude. Intense playing. Lesson: it's okay to be intense.