WARMER MIXTAPES #1636 | by Devin Bing

1. Bobby Caldwell | What You Won’t Do For Love
There’s no other singer I identify more with than Bobby Caldwell. He’s the quintessential white guy with soul. I heard this song while living in Miami, close to where he recorded What You Won’t Do For Love. From then on, it’s been my anthem.

2. Jamiroquai | Virtual Insanity
Jamiroquai is one of, if not my favorite band. Everyone remembers the iconic Music Video of Jay Kay in his crazy headgear floating around the sterile room, but I remembered that bad ass piano part and his dope lyrical and melodic flow.

3. Stevie Wonder | Too High
Literally, I believe this was the first song I heard when I smoked my first joint. Very appropriate. It ended up being my audition song for getting into the University of Miami Jazz Program. I sang the hell out of it and received a scholarship.

4. Amy Winehouse | Back To Black
Amy was by far one of the most incredibly blessed unique talents of our time. It’s so sad to speak in past tense when talking about her. She was always my dream duet person to record with. Maybe there will be a long lost recording that I can sing with her on.

5. Claude Debussy | Suite Bergamasque: 3. Claire De Lune (Played by François-Joël Thiollier)
When it comes to Classical compositions, this is by far the most moving for me. The piano arrangement is absolutely beautiful. I’ve heard it used in a number of movies, and it always raises the hairs on my neck.

6. Bill Evans Trio | My Foolish Heart (Martha Mears Cover)
If it was ever possible to make love to a piano, Bill Evans does it in this recording. He touches every note so tenderly. Being a piano player myself, it is one the most vulnerable performances I’ve heard.

7. Miles Davis | Blue In Green (with Bill Evans)
Speaking of vulnerable, this is one of Miles’ most emotional recordings. You can hear it from the first note he plays. He cries through the trumpet, exuding such an erie feeling. The song is said to be about feeling sad (Blue) even after making a lot of money (Green). By the way, Bill Evans’ solo in this is just as memorable.

8. Sade | By Your Side 
This is one of the first songs I listened to when I went through my first High School break up. It was probably the first time I had been so emotionally connected to a song. It propelled me to pursue and create Music that could move people in the same capacity.

9. D’Angelo | Untitled (How Does It Feel)
This song inspired one of my favorite songs that I have written, Lovin’ You’s So Easy. When I first listened to Untitled (How Does It Feel), I was like, Oh yea, this is that Baby Making Music!... I love everything from the groove to the way D’Angelo delivers the melody and lyrics.

10. Kurt Elling | Night Dreamer (Wayne Shorter Vocalese Cover)
If you want to hear an unique vocal performance, listen to Kurt Elling’s vocalese of Wayne Shorter’s Night Dreamer in this recording. Best thing about it, it’s Live! He takes from the saxophonist’s solo and writes lyrics to each note. It’s technical, melodic and wonderfully intense.