WARMER MIXTAPES #1648 | by Phebe Jay Starr [Phebe Starr]

1. Kraftwerk | Computer Love
Is there a better song that predicted The Future and pays homage to The Past?... No, there is not. I love everything Kraftwerk stand for. I named my first EP Zero after their affiliation with the Art movement ZERO in Germany. They wanted to make Art accessible and enjoyable to everyone and that's something I get behind. You can read more about that here.

2. Johnny Cash | Man In Black
Johnny Cash has to be one of the biggest influences on my life. I grew up hearing his music from as early as I could remember. His lyrics are the thing that really gets to me. It wasn't until I was in High School that I started to appreciate everything he stood for. There was a period of my life where I only wore black. It was hard to sustain, but I so wanted to be as consistent as Johnny!

3. RosalĂ­a | Malamente (Cap.1: Augurio)
She has to be my favourite artist in the last 5 years. I love everything this woman does. There is Pain in her voice. This song has the most amazing video too.

4. A$AP Rocky | Praise The Lord (Da Shine) (feat. Skepta)
I have no idea what A$AP is talking about in this song and I think that's the point. I just like the line I praise The Lord, then break The Law. I feel that. Also the use of flutes on this track really influenced my whole album. He definitely brought flutes back in.

5. Michael Jackson | Bad
This was my Karaoke song from when I was 10 'til just recently.



6. James Blake | A Case Of You (Joni Mitchell Cover)
The best cover that has ever existed. Honestly, it never gets old.

7. Joni Mitchell | California
I felt the need to pay respects to James Blake's "mother" Joni Mitchell, for without her there would be no A Case Of You cover. She's honestly the best songwriter ever.

8. Lorn | Acid Rain
The sound design in this track blows my mind. I could listen to it all day. The texture is a big sandwich of Joy. The video to this song is one of the most well produced videos I've ever seen. Ahhhhh! Sandwich of visual and textural designs.

9. The Flamingos | I Only Have Eyes For You (Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler Cover)
I listen to this song whenever I'm sad. It makes me feel like there is a love in The World that will one day consume me until I feel no pain ever again. I think it's their harmonies.

10. Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton | Hound Dog
Again, an amazing song written by a woman, but more popularly known as covered by Elvis Presley. This song was recorded on the shittest mic ever. 1 mic, 1 performance. Her voice resonates Perfection and Authority. Ahhhh, I'm obsessed!