WARMER MIXTAPES #1668 | by David Robert Thomas Jr. [Dave Thomas Junior]

1. Radiohead | Exit Music (For A Film)
The most perfect song. The sampled choir, the bass synth that comes in at the end and the Romeo And Juliet tragedy of it all. It took me quite a while to understand the melody, but once I did I was all in. I listen to this song at least once a week and I think I always will.

2. Frank Ocean | Pyramids
The Two Part nature of this one blows my mind. It’s so cool when that 808 drops in for the second half and we come into The Present. This song reminds me of being in many different places - driving up the Thruway in NY, Vegas, Rome, and I guess Egypt, even though I’ve never been, LOL.

3. Richard Wagner | Tristan Und Isolde: Prelude ("Credits (Tristan And Isolde)" & other Tristan And Isolde excerpts from Melancholia Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, Conductor: Richard Hein)
I got into this one from the Melancholia soundtrack - I’ve never been to the Opera although I would love to go. I’m into Mindfulness and Zen and the idea that we are not our minds, and that Consciousness is maybe The Basis Of Everything (check this out, it’s so intense). Somehow the idea of the Absolute End of the World like this offers another perspective on that. I think it’s healthy to pay Death some mind, to allow it in and notice what that makes us feel. I’m not very good at that, but I’m working on it! I can get there sometimes, and get present to the idea that we are an expression of The Universe and are inextricably connected through that.

4. David Bowie | Let’s Dance
The snare sound. How tight the track is. That little bit of Silence after the snare before the next line starts. The Sound of this one. Dang. I love dancing to this one.

5. Kelly Clarkson | Since U Been Gone
I love Max Martin and I think this one is his absolute best. All his trademark moves are there, like the way it builds and the way the tag happens in a different place at the end. The chords in the middle eight keep going somewhere different and it’s actually insanely complicated, but sounds so natural.



6. Goldie Lookin Chain | My DJ
This one is extremely Parental Advisory so be advised! I absolutely love Goldie Lookin Chain. It’s true genius. Some of the lines unpack in like 3 different directions and I just don’t know how they do it. Especially not while smoking so much weed.

7. The Beatles | Yesterday (Anthology 2 Version)
This version shows the fact that the final single version was 99% recorded live. So, so amazing. Also the absence of George Martin’s string arrangement somehow demonstrates how great it is too. The bit of talking at the beginning brings the whole thing down to earth, and is a reminder that this song didn’t always exist, but it was written, and then played to the band what key’s it in?! on that day.

8. Whitney Houston | I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
Quite simply the best song in the World. Put it on and try to skip it... You cannot.

9. Father John Misty | Pure Comedy
This song is like the song version of the book Sapiens and I love it. This whole album was a big part of my 2017 and I still listen to the whole thing now. The lyrics!

10. SinĂ©ad O’Connor | Nothing Compares 2 U (The Family Cover)
I love, love, love a heartbreak song and this one is up there with the finest. Something else I love about this song is the drums. It sounds to me like they were trying to emulate a loop but didn’t have a sampler, they just had one of those pesky full actual drum kits so they made do. Seems like a very backwards way for things to be and a real moment in Time, and I love that.