WARMER MIXTAPES #55 | by Joel Karlsson and Henrik Markstedt of Air France

SIDE A | by Joel Karlsson

1. Jeff Perry | Love Don't Come No Stronger
I got this song from my childhood friend Karl on my seventeenth birthday-party, and when my parents went to bed we went out in the snow chaos, in the middle of nowhere and danced to this on a cassette stereo and drank gin for the first time. It was all drunken and lovely days, or maybe that's just sentimental memories talking.

2. King Tubby & Clancy Eccles All Stars | Kingston Town
Got this one the other day sent to my email from a good friend. I have always loved when things sound cracked and when you find the sweetest and strongest melodies somewhere in the contours.

3. Saint Etienne | Avenue
Manifest choice, maybe. But this beauty has it all, when I hear this I'm sure the world is on my side.

4. Ellie Goulding | Starry Eyes
A favourite from this year. I like the very stressfull pace.

5. Lovejoy | Sunset Sky
There have been many many nights spent on green hills just outisde the city when I have been listening to this one as the lights from the party streets in the city centralight up.

6. Serge Gainsbourg | Je Suis Venu Te Dire Que Je M'en Vais
It's strange, this one. I have listened to this for many years, but I can't put a memory to it. It must be an inner longing of moving to Paris that makes me turn to this song over and over.

7. Marcos Valle | She Told Me, She Told Me
Can't remember how this sounded, it has disappeared from my life. But when you asked for my songs I thought of this immediately. I remember it as an open-hearted agreement between two young people going home on the beach under the moonlight.

8. Ben Watt - ?
I can't remember the title, but it was about him forgetting a pack of cigarettes in her case. Is there someone out there who could help me with this one? However, very romantic and strong.

9. Francis Lai | 13 Jours En France
Today it is very seldom that I hear new beautiful film music, the movie companies makes it too easy for themselves and miss a big part of what's so amazing with films; creating an impression that goes beyond everyday life. Francis Lai has opened so many doors for me and introduced me to sensitive piano music, to film music from South America and from the East, and of course to so much other music from France.

10. The Embassy | Call It What You Want
...Or any other song from the first record. I am proud that I'm today a friend of the singer, the guy with brown hair, even if I'm not sure he'd say he's a friend of mine. This record made me take the final step and move down to Gothenburg. I don't know if that means I am thankful or the opposite, but I am very glad that their record made me think of Gothenburg as a better place.



SIDE B | by Henrik Markstedt

1. Saint Etienne | Kiss And Make Up
I love love love the version they recorded with Donna Savage before the one that ended up on Foxbase Alpha. I didn't even know this version existed until a couple of months ago, when a friend sent it to me after a quarrel. Instantly, it made me forget what we were arguing about.

2. Laura Luca | Domani Domani
My Italian is rubbish, but I think this one is about unhappy love, and that it's not the end of the world. I always appreciate it when songs about loss have a silver lining, a belief that things are going to be ok.

3. Ellie Goulding | Starry Eyed (Jakwob Remix)
At my last dj set, I must have played this song at least three times. I guess it's kind of hard to dance to, but I don't care. I get dizzy, my knees starts to shake when I hear this, and even though it's not really dancing, it's close enough.

4. Luca D'Ammonio | Ragazzina
This song describes the feeling you get when you've turned the radio on and hear your own song on the charts, and as you stand half naked by the window listening, your baby comes along and tells you to put on a sweater.

5. The KLF | Madrugada Eterna (Club Mix)
I went to Slovenia with my girlfriend this summer. We spent three weeks driving through the wine districts, stopping at vineyards and filling the trunk with bottles from Kras, Goriška Brda, The Vipava Valley...And the bassline from this song, it's wobbly flow, together with the wine, makes you walk like a monkey.

6. Myd | Train To Bamako
Right now, this is one of my faves. Takes me places I'll probably never be able to go.

7. Caetano Veloso | Debaixo Dos Caracóis Do Seus Cabelos
I have no idea what this song is about, but I've learned it by heart so that one day, I'll be able to sing my children to sleep with it.

8. Prefab Sprout | Appetite
Most boys in my high school were in love with Christina Applegate, Cindy Crawford or Jenny Grönholm, who worked in the cafeteria. But I desperately wanted Wendy Smith to come sweep me off my feet on a motorcycle.

9. The Wake | Talk About The Past
I had a big crush on Carolyn Allen too. I still do.

10. The Isley Brothers | Footsteps In The Dark
One day, I'll sample the intro to this song, forget to make our publisher clear it, make it a hit, become a millionaire and then lose it all in a court settlement to Ice Cube.