WARMER MIXTAPES #815 | by Gabriella Cilmi

1. Janis Joplin | Me And Bobby McGee (Roger Miller Cover)
I discovered Janis Joplin through a good friend of my Mum’s and instantly felt a connection to her Vocals. You could hear the influence of Soul, the influence of Rock And Roll and Country. She was drawing from so many different influences yet she sounded like nothing else I’d heard. I always warm up before my gigs singing this song, I Love the Story Telling element, I Love the Melody... I love Janis Joplin’s Passion and Delivery.

2. Led Zeppelin | Whole Lotta Love
Page’s Riff is the sexiest riff I’ve ever heard… Then John Paul Jones' Bass joins in and makes it sexier… Next Bonham comes in and it becomes the Sexiest Sound Ever Created. Robert Plant’s Vocals… They fit somewhere in between a moan and growl. Two words. Super Sexy.


3. Minnie Riperton | Les Fleur
I can’t believe I only brought a Minnie Riperton album this year. Her Bird-like Vocals are so Enchanting and she sings at such a lovely pace with a lot of Care… Like she’s cradling and singing to a baby… This album was recorded with an Orchestra. …When it hits the chorus it sounds just like Heaven has opened up in the Skies… I’m a sucker for a Brass section.

4. Leonard Cohen | Suzanne (Judy Collins Cover)
I Love Leonard Cohen’s style of Acoustic… It just fits so nicely with his Perfect Lyrics. He’s a great Storyteller, every line is Perfection. The little hints of Strings and BV’s sit so lovely. And the Sun pours down like honey on our lady of the harbor and she shows you were to look among the garbage and the flowers… Such a lovely line among so many.

5. Nina Simone | Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
A Brilliant Song performed by a Brilliant Woman. I think this song is Genius… I Love the Arrangement, the Twinkling Piano and the Strings. Most of all I feel everyone can connect to these lyricsWe all ultimately really want to be accepted for who we areSometimes we hurt the people we Love in the process… This song I can really relate too.

6. Frank Ocean | Pink Matter (feat. André 3000)
This is a great Modern tune. Love the Thoughtfulness and the Fragility of Frank’s Vocals in this song. The Production if really interesting and I like the idea of the Conversation going on between the Sensai and his student… The rhythm André 3000 brings to the tune is sweet as. I Love the lyrics Butter knife, what a Life anyway

7. Atahualpa Yupanqui | La Pastorcita Perdida
I recently discovered the Peruvian Singer Songwriter via my brother. Atahualpa’s Guitar Playing is Mesmerizing and Soothing…The song is about a shepardess.

8. Alice Coltrane | Journey In Satchidananda (feat. Pharoah Sanders)
The Harp and Tamboura combination is great… It’s like two people meeting from Foreign Worlds. I Love the Saxaphone Scatting… It’s such a Lovely, Relaxing piece of Music.

9. Björk | Jóga
I first heard this song at the wedding of some family friendsAn unlikely first Dance, but it really made a lot of sense listening to the Lyrics closely... Co-incidences make sense only with you… Obviously, I love Björk’s Melodies and the String Arrangement is Beautiful. The blend of Electronic and Classical Sounds is lovely.

10. The Smiths | How Soon Is Now?
I Love the Super Sad Vocals Morrissey against the Tremolo Guitar. The Line Simplicity of this lyric is so great I am Human and I need to be loved, just like everyone else does… Such a great Atmospheric tune.