WARMER MIXTAPES #1312 | by Stacy Clark

Photo by Becky Siegel

1. Otis Redding | (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
I grew up on an island in the middle of the Niagara River in New York. Growing up, I spent a lot of time at my friends' homes who lived on the river. We would build forts, play in the forest, play soccer, volleyball, go on boats and floating. When I hear this song it has so much soul and reminds me of home.

2. Fleetwood Mac | Dreams
It is no secret that I love Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks. I was fortunate enough to meet Mic Fleetwood and stood in line all day to meet Stevie. I know they're only human and try to not to put anyone on a pedestal, but also there is so much history within that band that I find inspiring. When I think about everything they have been through as a band and how they are still together performing, it amazes me. It shows a sense of Strength and a sense of Deep Passion for Music which is quite beautiful. Their songwriting is also quite admirable. Like a sculpture it's dimensional and deep. I have been lucky enough to see them perform a few times. Each time they play this song I think about their journey and it brings tears to my eyes.

3. John Lennon | Imagine
The Beatles are one of my favorite bands. How amazing it would've been to do a writing session with all of them in a room. They wrote such clever and visual songs. I am amazed with how many songs Paul McCartney has written and keeps writing. He definitely sets the bar high. I chose Imagine as my favorite of these because I am a dreamer and I do imagine living in a peaceful World. Where all children have a home, all mouths are fed and everyone has the right to Freedom. This song is so powerful for being so simple and has certainly had an impact on the World.

4. Arcade Fire | The Suburbs
When I first heard this song I was on a plane flying back to LA from tour. I had to listen to it again because immediately I connected to it. I loved the story it told. After College I had lived a few years in Vermont and lived a very simple life. This song brought me right back to that feeling. For the past ten years, I have lived outside of Los Angeles. At times I get sick of the traffic, hustle and pretension. I look forward to the day where I am again living a simple life were less is more.

5. Frank Sinatra | Come Fly With Me
I love this song so much that I even did a cover of it. My best friend's father is obsessed with Frank Sinatra and that has rubbed off on me a bit. Growing up he would always cover My Way and even had a Karaoke recording he would play on the way to dropping us off at soccer. He is no Tony Bennett, but when he sang that song another side of him appeared. I love how performing can bring out different versions of ourselves or who we want to be. I enjoy the lyrics and journey this song takes me on. When I listen to Frank I think of NY. When I hear this song, it makes me want to reach for the stars and go on vacation.



6. Blind Melon | Change
I also really love their song No Rain. I grew up dancing and unknown to me I had a gluten allergy so my stomach would puff out. Nothing like dancing a recital or posing for pictures with a full looking stomach. I could identify with that cute little bee girl in their Music Video, just a happy little bee, innocent free of worry despite image. The song Change particularly hits home because of it's truth. We all have different paths, some of us will have it harder then others. Either way at some point we all have to endure change - whether it is moving to another state, dealing with loss, dealing with illness, breakup, moving in with someone, there are ups and downs. Life is full of choices. I chose to see the glass half full, but that doesn't mean that I don't ever get sad. The lyrics in this song are very uplifting.

7. James Taylor | Fire And Rain
This song is so beautiful. It makes me think of people in my life who I have lost. I always thought that I'd see you again.

8. Joni Mitchell | California
I love how her writing tells a story and is written with such honesty. She also sings like an angel. I am also a huge fan of her song Big Taxi.

9. Jimmy Eat World | Believe In What You Want
I grew up going to Hardcore, Punk Rock and Ska shows. One of the bands I had followed was Jimmy Eat World. To see them go from playing basement bars to being heard on the radio was really inspiring. It showed me that hard work does pay off and to believe in what you want. Every road trip I have ever taken this record is a staple. It is so well written and produced, I love it. I also love the sparkly guitar parts. What you ignore is priceless to me. I also love For Me This Is Heaven and Goodbye Sky Harbor. Can you still feel the butterflies? The answer is yes.

10. Empire Of The Sun | Walking On A Dream
This song played right after our wedding ceremony as we entered the room first time as Mr. & Mrs. holding hands, dancing and walking under our friends arms. Every time I hear this song I think of my love.

+11. 4 Non Blondes | What's Up?
I had to add this song as in High School my soccer team would all sing this at the top of our lungs from bus rides to the game and back from it. I grew up in a small town and am still friends with the many of the girls. I love my life and adventures, but also some of my most memorable moments were those shared with my soccer girls. We would belt this out and many others - 24k - Don't Go There. I will never forget getting to our rival teams field before them, so we took the inner circle stretching blasting this song. It was pretty ridiculous, but, hey, we had the skill to back it up.