WARMER MIXTAPES #2 | by Fredrick Carlsson

1. Aphex Twin | Windowlicker
This is one of those tracks I never ever tire of! Everything about it's just perfect, you know! The beat's so slick and sexy and the production makes me want to cry! Definetely one of the most perfect tracks I've ever heard. I remembered listening this one alot back in 2002-2003, and the production and feeling have influenced me majorly.

2. David Bowie | Heroes
Anybody who doesn't love this track deserves a smack in the face. I listen to it weekly, sometimes daily.

3. Nine Inch Nails | Hurt
Some people prefer the straight Johnny Cash cover of this little tune, but I think that's just bullshit. The crazy chord gives the whole song a special kind of feeling of beauty through broken ugliness. Johnny Cash totally missed that point... Anyhow, it's played an important role in my life, and it's a great track that I still listen to from time to time.

4. Plastikman | Spastik
A couple of years ago you would encounter this absolute masterpiece in every dj-set you heard! People used this track as a tool to stitch almost every set together! That's how fucking good it is! I knocked myself unconscious by accident when I heard Tiga spin this absolute colossus at some festival way back. It's definetely a track that's important to me. Snares man, snares!

5. Erik Satie | Gymnopédie No. 3 (Played by Pascal Rogé)
Just listen! This is magic from before your great grandfather even had pubes! No-one can write tunes for the piano like Satie can. Gymnopedie #3 makes every other piano-based track ever made seem like fucking saloon-shanties! Back in the days when I did a lot more experimental stuff I really liked this kind of music, and a lot of old IDM are influenced by Satie. Huge!

6. Venetian Snares | Dad
I began listening to noisy stuff in my teens mainly to be rebellious, but this track totally changed everything. I learned a couple of lessons about being pretentious and grew a bit, I guess. Venetian Snares mainly makes totally insane fucking music, but this track is something beyond that! The lyrics, and harmonies and the sounds all make me wanna cry a little. It's not easy a track that's essentially ugly, gritty, twisted, spastic and fucked up into something of pure beauty.

7. Tiga & Zyntherius | Sunglasses At Night
Many years ago, when electroclash emerged and italo revived, this was one of the big hits! Definately a classic! I remember one beautiful summer in my hometown, Karlstad (Sweden); Me and a fellow musician had recorded a mix-tape with ONLY this track, constantly looping on both sides. My friend and I, plus my girlfriend at the time and her friend spent an entire night just walking around, drunk and listening to the same song over and over and over again. Magic, pure magic. I'll never forget this awesome track.

8. Jean Michel Jarre | Oxygene, Part 2
I really love that high-pitched melody! Absolutely gorgeous and the best track on the entire album. A song I can listen to over and over and over. It's like a little trumpeteer standing on top of the moon, calling out to all the intergalactic space-birds! Totally awesome.

9. Donna Summer | I Feel Love
I remember my dad used to play this track to me when I was a kid, and I've always felt that there was something very special about it. The pounding bassline, the simple and slick production and the sweeping vocals. THIS is pure techno, long before techno was even born. A very important track in my life.

10. Big Ben Tribe | Tarzan Loves The Summer Nights
A real cornerstone regarding italo-disco! The feeling's just there! This is one of those songs that should be played at eight in the morning, when the party's turned a bit more mellow. A perfect summer track. If you listen to it, you'll know the feeling i'm talking about.