WARMER MIXTAPES #1367 | by Jessi James Hall of Bethan

1. Goldfrapp | Lovely Head 
The first time I listened to Alison Goldfrapp’s voice I was completely taken aback. She is haunting perfection in my mind. It’s necessary to begin with Felt Mountain and listen to every single album over and over again.

2. Portishead | Roads
A friend told me to buy Dummy when I was 17 years old. I sat in my car and listened to the album at least 3 times that night. It was an album that changed me.

3. Tom Waits | All The World Is Green 
Blood Money is a masterpiece. All The World Is Green is a song that makes me want to cry, it’s so beautiful… I wish I could write like Tom Waits. This song never ages—a lesson in the craft of songwriting and proof that the gift is rare.

4. Astrud Gilberto | Who Needs Forever (The Deadly Affair Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Astrud’s voice has that quality—unique, honest, beautiful, effortless, and unlike any other. Listen with a cognac and dark, dark chocolate.

5. The Ronettes | Be My Baby 
This song should be on everyone’s list. Every time I hear it it makes me want to fall in love with Love over and over again... That’s why.

6. George Gershwin | Prelude No. 2: Andante Con Moto E Poco Rubato
This is one of my very favorite pieces of Music. I can’t explain exactly why, but it’s cool like a cigarette in the Fall in New York City.

7. Fiona Apple | Limp 
This song was just one of Fiona’s that gave me permission to feel that fuck-with-me-and-I’ll-make-you-pay thing that I think all women should identify within themselves. It’s a necessary part of coming into one’s own.

8. Judy Garland | The Man That Got Away (A Star Is Born Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Judy, Judy, Judy… Her voice and that performance. There will never be another like her.

9. Sidney Bechet | Si Tu Vois Ma Mère
I think of my husband, Daniel, and New Orleans when I hear this piece of Music. Daniel and I visit New Orleans at least once a year just to walk the streets, listen to some of the greatest talent in the United States, eat well, drink well, and remember that Life can pass at a slow pace.

10. Timber Timbre | Run From Me
Hot Dreams, in my opinion, is the best album released in 2014. Run From Me is timeless, perfectly arranged, and brilliantly performed. It will never sound tired to me.