WARMER MIXTAPES #1434 | by Christina Nemec [chra] of Pasajera Oscura, SV Damenkraft and Shampoo Boy

Photo by Bernadette Reiter

1. Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
My parents listened to so called Black Music (Soul, Funk, Disco) when I was a kid. My mother told me the sad story of this song and about the biography of Billie Holiday and Racism in the United States and in South Africa.

2. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts | I Love Rock 'N Roll (Arrows Cover)
Joan Jett was my first rolemodel (beside Blondie, Siouxsie and Nina Hagen) as a Post-Punk girl - she still rocks!

3. X-Ray Spex | Identity
A powerful anthem for all girls - still very strong!

4. Imagination | Just An Illusion 
Early 80's... I felt like a punk, but still loved this gayish tune followed by all British gay bands (Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Housemartins, Yazoo...).

5. M | Pop Muzik
When I was around 11 years old I got my first own cassette recorder with 3 tapes - one had Pop Muzik on it - it was my summer catchy tune of 1979, beside Funky Town and Heart Of Glass.

6. Leila K | Open Sesame 
Still so good - can hear it several times in a row - this voice!!!! Big love.


7. Gustav | We Shall Overcome
I've known Vienna based artist Gustav since her first appearance in 2002 - and it was amazing to see this young woman playing some toys and processors singing the smartest lyrics with an honesty - in the meantime Gustav is one of the best songwriters in Austria.

8. Mark Stewart + The Maffia | This Is Stranger Than Love 
My band mate Peter Rehberg played this tune in his DJ set at Viennese base bar Chelsea that time in 1989... And I loved the Satie melodies on it - Mark's voice got me from that moment on.

9. Sonic Youth/Lydia Lunch | Death Valley '69
Intense hard and challenging - the cooperation of my most favorite band of the early 80's with controversial Lydia Lunch.

10. New Order | Blue Monday
One of the best Pop songs ever, ever, ever...

+11. Fennesz | Bécs
Vienna is my hometown and Fennesz is one of the best artists in town - love his guitar processings - sad, melancholic, disturbant.

+12. Ryuichi Sakamoto | Grief (Andrea Parker Remix)
One of my personal female producer pioneers with a wonderful remix.