WARMER MIXTAPES #1456 | by Dustin Belt of Heffron Drive

1. Vertical Horizon | You're A God
The simplicity of the song and the lyrical earnestness is key. No matter what situation I'm in in Life, I can play this song and find something about it that I can relate to in that moment. This song is like a security blanket for me.

2. Third Eye Blind | The Background
The entire album is awe inspiring. It evokes memories of my being a teenager driving down California freeways with the windows down and the speakers blown whenever I hear it. There's this one note on guitar in the bridge, right after he sings I felt you long after we were through and the Music just hits you square in the heart. There's so much Emotion in that moment of the song.

3. Kansas | Dust In The Wind
It was the first song I ever learned on guitar. It also contains my name in the title, and the band (and band's name!) and I are both from Kansas. So there's that.

4. Katy Perry | Teenage Dream
My guilty pleasure song. Such a well thought out tune with brilliant imagery. Got a hotel and built a fort out of sheets. What a great visual line. Kudos to the team behind this one.

5. Bob Seger | Old Time Rock And Roll
I used to stand on my fire place mantle when I was a toddler and play guitar (left handed at the time) and sing this to my parents. I had no idea what any of the words meant, but it made me move and I liked it.



6. Incubus | Dig
One of my all-time favorite bands. This is and Oil And Water are in the same vein for me. Apart from being insanely talented musicians in their own right, this song just jelled so perfectly and went exactly where you wanted it to sonically go. It's powerful and the message runs deep through the veins of the track. It's one of those songs that could still be on the radio in twenty years. Those don't come along too often.

7. Jimmy Eat World | Dizzy
Jim Adkins has this innate ability to write a damn good song, and this one doesn't disappoint. It's another one that uses your heart strings like a jump rope and takes you on a journey from beginning to end. The bridge gets gritty with the chord changes and his vocals become angrier as he pleads You said you'd never have regrets. Jesus, is there someone yet who got that wish? Did you get yours, babe?... I've spent many a night at 3am after a few (too many) beers jamming out to this one.

8. Goo Goo Dolls | Iris (City Of Angels Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
The iconic 90's song. The funny thing about this song is it took me about 7 years after City Of Angels came out for me to watch it -- I hated it. Johnny Rzeznik had crafted the entire storyline of the movie into a four and a half minute song. I didn't need to see the movie! The lyrics and melody are so great in this. The way the chorus melody comes in and jumps up an octave is so powerful. Has to be one of the best songs ever written.

9. Vince Gill | One More Last Chance
For the first ten years of my life I listened to almost nothing but Country, so it has a special place in my heart. This song starts off with a classic Vince Gill guitar lick and is overall just a fun listen. It's quirky and lively.

10. The Good Mad | Falling Asleep (Shine Don't Shadow)
From their Alta EP. I have a very specific memory of landing in Buenos Aires and listening to this EP all the way from the airport to the hotel on repeat. It's all I listened to for 3 weeks in South America. Their harmonies are well practiced and executed flawlessly. I'm happy to say these are some close friends of mine and Andy Fischer-Price (who plays bass and sings in TGM) even comes and subs in on bass with us sometimes in Heffron Drive. It's nice having talented friends.