WARMER MIXTAPES #1592 | by Craig Hugh Murphy [Solipsism] of Weird Fields, Ashtoreth's Gate, Solipsism & Nacht Plank ‎ and Shoosh

Choosing 10 songs/tracks has been very difficult for me as I’m an album person and never judge Music on a single track, hence the reason it has taken me so long to reply. I would also like to state that although these 10 songs will inevitably be in a list of 1 to 10 that does not have any bearing on the perceived inherent value of the songs or any preference I have over one from the other – I don’t judge other people’s Music. 10 years ago my choices would have been different and 10 years from now, they will no doubt be different again. First off I’d like to say that it is going to be very difficult for me to give any in depth introspective meaning for my choosing of these songs outwith the context of their albums as each of them comes from a classic album in my opinion and, as hinted previously, I dislike dislocating songs from their albums as that’s not how they’re meant to be consumed. So I’m afraid that my explanations shall be short and descriptive, rather than long and winding. I would also like to add that I have purposely chosen 10 pieces from 10 different artists even though I may have preferred to have included more than one piece by a single artist and with that said, here is my list.

1. Frank Zappa | Imaginary Diseases
It’s a storming piece of Jazz/Rock fusion only ever performed live and never recorded in a studio. It was released posthumously on an album of the same name. If you like this driving instrumental, I strongly suggest you check out the rest of the album.

2. Neil Young | Out On The Weekend
It’s hard to put into words why I like this song, I think it’s something about being young, being yourself and being in Love without the maturity to appreciate it or reciprocate it. It’s also about doing what you want to do rather than what Society wants you to do. It’s lyrically very beautiful and meaningful to me.

3. Pink Floyd | Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5)
Actually Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9) as well!... I love Pink Floyd and both parts of Shine On You Crazy Diamond are for me among the best stuff they’ve done. The fact it’s a tribute to Syd Barrett though means nothing to me, as I wasn’t a fan of his version of Pink Floyd.

4. Harold Budd/Brian Eno | First Light
It’s simply a beautiful piece of Music that I defy anyone not to appreciate.

5. Ennio Morricone | Tema D’Amore Ripresa (Alla Scoperta Dell'America Original Soundtrack)
A simple but lovely piece of Music from my favourite film composer.



6. Radiohead | No Surprises
A fine dose of Melancholy from my favourite band of the 90s era. I still Love them.

7. Ron Geesin | Floating Down
Warp Records in the 1970s. Ron Geesin was years and years ahead of his time. A Scottish Avant-Gardist most people won’t have heard of, but should give a listen if they are fans of Outsider Music and Melody.

8. Leonard Cohen | Bird On A Wire
A beautiful song from one of my favourite songwriters of all time.

9. Miles Davis | Pharaoh’s Dance
Miles Davis at his very best, it’s a classic.

10. The Mahavishnu Orchestra | Open Country Joy
Another piece of Jazz/Rock fusion. John McLaughlin is a stunning guitarist.