WARMER MIXTAPES #1652 | by Leon Smith and Ross Standaloft of Too Many T's

Photos by Caitlin Mogridge

SIDE A | by Ross Standaloft

1. Slick Rick | Children's Story
This was the first Hip Hop song I learnt all the words to, I literally used to rap the whole song to other kids at school when I was 14 and I got my first proper girlfriend out of it (I was that cool).

2. Dilated Peoples | The Platform
Dilated... were absolutely massive for me when I was a kid. I used to skate and I'd take the Dilated Peoples album Platform to the skate park - they'd put it on and I was literally having the best time of my life.

3. Eminem | Drug Ballad (feat. Dina Rae)
Just such an amazing visual from the raps in this song, my fave Eminem track.

4. Edan | Mic Manipulator
First Edan track I ever heard - trippy Hip Hop with incredible lyricism, heard it on a Yoda mixtape arund 2004. Edan's been my fave ever since (not that he's ever put much out!).

5. Jurrasic 5 | What's Golden
You just can't not nod your head to this track. Sample is the nuts too! J5 are my fave crew.

6. Zero 7 | Somersault (feat. Sia)
I love Hip Hop, but over 50% of my listening time has probably been to Trip Hop. Bonobo, RJD2, Nightmres On Wax - but this Zero 7 song strikes a chord, the strings are powerful and full of Emotion. Love it.

7. Dizraeli | Bomb Tesco
A witty and funny track, my fave off Dizraeli's solo album I think. But it's more the significance of this album why this is in my top 10 - it made me start writing again, it was around 2009, I'd kinda lost interest in UK Hip Hop and stopped writing, but this album got my creative juices flowing again and I've ended up progressing far beyond what I ever thought I could as a lyricist.

8. Rick James | Give It To Me Baby
I'm no chauvinist, but I just absolutely love this track, Funky as hell.

9. Commodores | Brick House
What number 8 said.

10. Wu-Tang Clan | Method Man
I was obsessed with Wu-Tang as a kid, went to get a Wu bat tattooed on my arm aged 16 (luckily got ID'd and didn't do it). Meth has one of the best voices, delivery and flows in Hip Hop and it'd be a crime to not have a mention here!

Special shouts to Atmosphere, DJ Format and Abdominal, Bonobo, Asher Roth, The Kinks, Arctic Monkeys, Bill Withers, The Roots, James Brown, Jamiroquai, De La Soul, Gorillaz and LOAD more I couldn't squeeze in.


SIDE B | by Leon Smith

1. DJ Format | Vicious Battle Raps (feat. Abdominal)
This came on MTV at a mate's house about 2004 and I was like what the f*ck is this!! The beats so sick and I was instantly hooked on Abdominal’s rhythm and flow and have been since – real inspiring, positive rapper. So lucky I got to work with him on our last record.

2. Eminem | Infinite
Early Eminem is one of the main reasons I started rapping and this track is a lesson in Multi-Syllable Rhyming and matching the beat perfectly with his flow. Still the pinnacle of Rhyming for me.

3. The Notorious B.I.G. | Notorious Thugs (feat. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony)
Biggie’s deffo in my top 5 rappers, but he’s not known for his double time. He absolutely nails it in this track alongside Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. I transcribed the whole song to learn the lyrics and master that double time 'n' rhythm 'n' show off to my mates.

4. DJ Kool | Let Me Clear My Throat (Live at Bahama Bay Club, Philadelphia)
I love it when you can feel the energy in The Music, but it can sometimes get lost through the recording process. This track was recorded live in Philly and the vibe and energy of that room comes through on the track like I've never heard on any other.

5. Method Man & Redman | Da Rockwilder
I love the way Meth starts his verse before the beat drops and Red & Meth work off each so well.

6. Busta Rhymes | Gimme Some More
Samples Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho theme-tune all the way through… Normally samples get chopped and changed, but this just stays consistent the whole through and just works. Then Busta’s flow and rhyming on this track is on another level.

7. Michael Jackson | Billie Jean (Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever Live Performance)
Performance.com! To this day I haven’t seen anyone own a song and a stage and a performance as well as MJ does here. I was captivated. I had the performance recorded on VHS – I wore the video out from watching it over 'n' over to learn it.

8. Nas | Rewind
Nas raps the whole track in reverse. Genius.

9. Q-Tip | Things U Do
There’s an unusual arrangement to this track, but I really like the instrumental break between the verse and chorus – it gives a real nice laid back atmosphere to the record.

10. Amy Winehouse | Stronger Than Me (Reggae Version By Reggaesta)
I love the original, obviously Amy’s vocals are incredible, but I love the bounce of this remix you get from the offbeat Reggae staccato chords.