WARMER MIXTAPES #1659 | by Andrew Bernstein [Abdominal] of Abdominal And The Obliques and DJ Format & Abdominal

1. Run-DMC | Peter Piper 
I have to credit Run-DMC's 1986 album Raising Hell, and particularly this song, for getting me into Hip Hop in the first place, so it seems fitting to feature it as the lead-off tune for my imaginary mixtape.

2. Homeboy Sandman & Edan | Grim Seasons 
Wish Edan was rapping more on this EP, but still pretty epic nonetheless (dope production & Homeboy Sandman more than holds his own on the mic). Loving the 'four seasons' concept of this tune, and bonus points for the incredible accompanying animated video created by my homie Kagan McLeod (who also did the cover artwork for my & DJ Format's 2017 album Still Hungry).

3. Mo Kolours | Little Brown Dog
Heard this on the Bandcamp weekly podcast a few months ago, and have been playing it regularly since. I have a little brown dog myself (in fact, his name is Kajuq, which means Brown in Inuktitut... He's from Iqaluit in Canada's arctic), so it always reminds me of him when I hear it.

4. This Is The Kit | Moonshine Freeze
Think I also first heard this one on Bandcamp (discover a lot of my new music this way), and promptly bought the album. Love the whole album, but this track remains my favourite... Chill/Funky vibe, sick harmonies, great lyrics... Got it all really!

5. Madvillain | All Caps
This track pretty much sums up how I like my Hip Hop... Off-kilter, not so polished, with some complex-but-not-in-a-nerdy-way lyrics. Plus, MF Doom can basically do no wrong in my eyes.

6. Leonard Cohen | Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Speaking of incredible lyrics, can't forget to include some Leonard Cohen in this list. This tune in particular has brought me a lot of comfort during trying times over the years.

7. Tom Waits | Jesus Gonna Be Here 
A few years ago a promoter in my hometown of Toronto put together a Tom Waits tribute night, where a lineup of local musicians each performed two covers of Tom Waits material. My band and I, Abdominal And The Obliques, picked this as one of our two selections. I had so much fun singing it, that we've kept it as part of our repertoire ever since. Hard to match the sheer rawness of Waits' delivery, but I try my best!

8. Slum Village | 1,2 
Whole track bangs, but when Elzhi comes in with that double-time shit at the 2:45 mark? It's OVER!!



9. Heart | Barracuda
Realizing I should include a few more women on this list, as well as maybe a bit more Rock And Roll. But don't get it twisted, this track is far from just a token pick, as its badass guitar riff from Nancy Wilson and soaring vocal lines from sister Ann Wilson get me fired up every time!

10. Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton | Hound Dog 
Sticking with the badass women theme to close out my list, gotta end with the unfuckwithable energy and presence of the legendary Big Mama Thornton. Sorry, Elvis who??