WARMER MIXTAPES #1660 | by Valerie Trebeljahr of John Yoko & Lali Puna

1. Aphex Twin | Heliosphan
I could listen to this song forever and ever. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is the record I discovered Aphex Twin with and it's still the one I love to the most. So much weightless beauty.

2. Beyoncé | Sorry (Homecoming: The Live Album)
It's not very witty to be in love with Beyoncé these days. But you simply have to: Musically and politically, she expresses it all. If you haven't seen Homecoming, you definitely should, it's overwhelming.

3. Nina Simone | I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (Billy Taylor's 'I Wish I Knew' Cover)
I discovered Nina Simone when I was 15. I spent my days with Madonna and Pet Shop Boys before and Nina had a really strange voice for me at that time. Today I know: Simply everything is lying in this voice.

4. The Dixie Cups | People Say
I have a faible for girl bands from the sixties. Yes, they tend to sing a lot about the boys and unhappy love. And maybe they were casted by a mercenary label guy. But I love the concept of girl bands.

5. Joe Goddard | Taking Over
This track has something I wished I would be able to do: A song that is so light, that combines a far-away-dancefloor-feeling and a voice that touches you because it is so vulnerable.



6. Isan | Damil 85
My later label boss came up with this seven-inch. It was the first time I heard from Isan and I really fell in love with this song. Later on we became labelmates and met and it really backed my theory that people who do nice music are nice persons.

7. Cat Power | Good Woman (with Eddie Vedder)
The older I get the more I think: It's all about the voice. Well, of course not all... Well, Chan Marshall could read out email adresses or mobile numbers, they would sound soft and sad and they would tell a story.

8. Roxy Music | More Than This
I think one good thing about streaming Music is that nobody will get to you and say: What you hear is totally uncool. I own a lot of records and so I know a lot about everything and tell you about it. In my post-teenage-peergroup bands like Roxy Music were pretty uncool. I am very happy I aged.

9. Broadcast | Sixty Forty (Nico Cover)
I only recently found out about this song, a Nico cover version. It's quite hidden on a Warp compilation. I really miss Trish Keenan a lot.

10. Ekkehard Ehlers | Plays John Cassavetes (Untitled Track 2)
It's 9.57 long. One sample. The Beatles: Good Night. It's great.