WARMER MIXTAPES #1663 | by Duncan Beiny [DJ Yoda]

Photo by Trisha Rankin

1. Jungle Brothers | Straight Out The Jungle 
One of the first Hip Hop albums I ever owned was by the Jungle Brothers, so it’s been amazing to me that I’ve got to work with them so much over my career. This song sums them up for me.

2. OutKast | Wheelz Of Steel
OutKast are geniuses, but this is their best period for me personally. I love that they have a song shouting out the DJ, that’s the essence of Hip Hop, and it’s forgotten about too much.

3. The Gap Band | Yearning For Your Love
I love listening to Soul, and I got turned on to it by Hip Hop samples. Nas famously sampled this one. I’d just as happily play this at a club as play it in my own kitchen, which you can’t say for many songs.

4. Arlo Guthrie | Alice's Restaurant Massacree
This is a difficult song to describe. It’s over 18 minutes long and it’s a rambling story. I just really recommend that if you’ve ever got that time spare on a journey or something, you check it out.

5. Robert Johnson | Ramblin’ On My Mind
I listen to a lot of very old Blues and Country, because it has a lot of character in it. I was turned on to this by Mixmaster Mike scratching the record in the Scratch documentary - I love the idea of using this kind of Music for Turntablism.

6. Coldcut | Beats + Pieces (Mo' Bass Remix) (feat. Floormaster Squeeze)
The Lesson series by Double Dee & Steinski inspired a whole microcosm of cut & paste style records, sampling Classic Funk breaks and throwing all kinds of cool spoken word samples on top - this is one of many that inspired me.

7. Redman | Tonight’s Da Night
One of my favourite MCs. I love this whole album. I just like an MC with charisma, like Biz Markie or Redman. Almost everyone in Hip Hop’s first album is their best.

8. Evelyn King | Love Come Down
80s Music reminds me of my youth - so sometimes it’s difficult to pull apart what’s objectively good and what’s subjectively good. But I’m pretty sure this is just universally accepted as Great Music, no?

9. Nasty Habits | Shadow Boxing
I like Drum & Bass from the 90s. It’s great Driving Music, and it helps you get things done fast. Also reminds me of some of the first DJs I ever watched in a club.

10. Kanye WestSpaceship (feat. Consequence, GLC)
Think what you like about him, this is just a really soulful and original song - ...stood the test of Time so well.