WARMER MIXTAPES #225 | by Jef E. Barbara

1. Charlie | Spacer Woman
Bernardino Femminielli, who co-wrote Wild Boys, introduced me to Spacer Woman about a year ago. It's been my favorite track ever since.

2. Michel Didier | Comme Un Arc-En-Ciel (Nirvana's 'Rainbow Chaser' Cover)
This song is a cover of Rainbow Chaser, by UK prog band Nirvana. Michel Didier's phaser-filled version has got string arrangements by Jean-Claude Vannier, who worked on a bunch of Gainsbourg records. And for once, rock'n'roll sounds better in French.

3. David Bowie | John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)
Hobo Cult Records' Francesco De Gallo turned me onto this. I'd only paid attention to the first version, produced by Ken Scott. This reworked funk take, produced by Visconti, should be noted for its dreamy chorus, with this sort of frivolous, la-la landish feel that only Donna or Diana could seemingly pull off.

4. Mimi Et Les Pop People | Manufacturers (R. Stevie Moore Cover)
Off the first volume in a recent tribute compilation series to honor DIY forefather R. Stevie Moore, is a French version of Manufacturers. Quirkiness at its best and reminiscent of what could have appeared on an Angela Werner record.

5. Whitney Houston | Greatest Love Of All (George Benson's "The Greatest Love Of All" Cover)
I basically grew up wanting to become Whitney Houston. Greatest Love Of All has a combination of elements that clearly define early Whitney. Inspirational message, powerhouse singing, schmaltzy Rhodes and memories of Reagan-era shoulder pads.

6. Stacy Lattisaw | Attack Of The Name Game
Growing up, I was also a Mariah Carey fan. Perhaps even more so than Whitney. This beat was sampled on Mariah's Rainbow album. I discovered it years ago but it just recently got back on my playlist.

7. Teenage Reverb | Where Did The Summer Go? (666)
This track samples a House Music track that I'm very familiar with, I just can't put my finger on it. It's weird because I'm sure it influenced my writing at some point. Anyway that's beside the point. This loud-as-fuck beat is sick.

8. Diane Tell | Gilberto
Diane Tell is a genius. Hailing from Quebec City, Gilberto is the song that first put her on the map. It is a tribute to Joao Gilberto, which can be clearly assessed when listening to the way Tell writes her intricate blue-note-filled melodies.

9. Arcade Fire | Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Although I don't enjoy listening to Arcade Fire as much as I used to, this song hits it out of the ballpark. Régine channels her inner Debbie Harry quite convincingly on a song that is a departure from what her band's done before.

10. Léo Basel | Larmes De Crocodile
Hearing this one the first time was funny since I sing a similarly-titled song. However Léo Basel's own was recorded much earlier than mine and therefore isn't tongue-in-cheek in any way whatsoever. Racially dubious lyric included.

+11. The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Anemone
+12. Ahsa Puthli | Space Talk
+13. Poème Electronique | The Echoes Fade
+14. This Mortal Coil | Fond Affections
+15. Ludus | Breaking The Rules
+16. Paul McCartney | Check My Machine
+17. Thomas Luck | Kosmos
+18. Prophet | You Really Turn Me On
+19. Planetarium | Man (Part Two)
+20. The Human League | The Things That Dreams Are Made Of