WARMER MIXTAPES #1170 | by Brett DeWire (The Show Me State), Spenser Leighton (The Show Me State), Ian Gassman (Spires) and Alan Hubbard of Confluence

SIDE A | by Alan Hubbard

1. Radiohead | The National Anthem
That bassline, the arrangement, the horn section, it’s world class. Everyone’s got a Radiohead song on their list, right? See them live before you’re dead.

2. Neko Case | The Needle Has Landed 
The story in this song is beautiful. I like the way the tempo drags in the verses and picks up when the chorus drops.

3. Built To Spill | Traces
It’s got a huge central riff, counter-melodic bass lines and great lyrics. I can listen to their entire discography and connect with every song. So, I chose one from late in their catalogue, because this band has been touring and making albums for so long without compromising. Although they continue to evolve, they don’t have a song that sounds like anyone but Built To Spill.

4. The Fall Of Troy | F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.
The bridge in this song is a Math Rock masterpiece. On top of that, the lyrics are awesome and the chorus is super catchy. How he sings and plays those riffs is beyond me.

5. Saosin | Translating The Name
I love the sour notes, the breakdown, the dual vocals, the way this track is mixed. For me, this EP defines the genre. It will always be associated with some unforgettable times, with some unforgettable people, in my formative years as a musician and Music fan. Plus, Anthony. Fucking. Green.



6. Thievery Corporation | Lebanese Blonde
My dad listens to this kind of Music. This song brings up some fond memories of road trips through the Colorado mountains and the Utah Desert, listening to Downtempo Electronica for hours.

7. The Smiths | Still Ill
What I love about The Smiths is the juxtaposition of Rorke and Marrs’ relentlessly bright, busy bass lines and guitar riffs against Morrissey’s sparse, melancholy vocals. And if you must, go to work tomorrow, well, if I were you I wouldn't bother, for there are brighter sides to Life, and I should know, because I've seen them, but not very often.

8. And So I Watch You From Afar | Big Thinks Do Remarkable
This is what I want out of Instrumental Music, to feel elated. All Hail Bright Futures is a fierce, mathematical, hard-hitting thrill ride of an album that somehow still leaves you overwhelmed with a sense of celebration and positivity. On top of that, ASIWYFA are some of the nicest dudes we’ve had the pleasure to play with.

9. This Town Need Guns | If I Sit Still, Maybe I Can Get Out Of Here 
Technically impressive, virtuosic music can often have an inhuman, mechanical feel to it. It’s usually something that can be appreciated intellectually, but not connected to emotionally. TTNG is a rare exception, they bring insanely complex melodies and arrangements together with earnest thoughtful songwriting. This particular song is so beautiful to me because it translated so well through their lineup changes. It sounds amazing on their first record and it's still amazing in their set now.

10. Elliott Smith | Between The Bars 
When I put my Top 10 list together, there was a whole slew of “Sad Bastard” Music on it, but it was too depressing trying write about my emotional connection to those songs. So, I chose the cream of the crop. The people you've been before, that you don't want around anymore, they push and shove and won't bend to your will, I'll keep them still.


SIDE B | by Ian Gassman

1. Wilco | At Least That’s What You Said 
When I first heard this song, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I think Jeff Tweedy really shows off his knack for dynamics with this tune, as well as his love of pure cacophony. If anything this track taught me how to be noisy and frenetic, but also quiet... Very quiet.

2. Bombay Bicycle Club | Shuffle
I love the groove and hook of this song. It’s very elating, then uplifting. I think it shows you how important a good groove and a solid refrain can be in the context of songwriting.

3. Paul Simon | Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes
This song has so many foreign elements that are all somehow extremely familiar. But this song is not just an example of Simon’s ability to incorporate African sounds into his Pop songs; it’s an example of how African-based Music informs our entire Pop catalog here in America. This song made me open up my mind.

4. Paul Simon | The Cool, Cool River
Similar to Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes, Paul Simon was inspired by African, Brazilian and Latin American sounds on this song. He learned the rhythm, which is in a relaxed, yet volatile 9/8 time signature, from his guitarist, the Cameroon-born, Vincent Nguini. When everything comes to a crescendo at the end, as accented by a powerful horn section, it’s rather breathtaking.

5. American Football | For Sure 
This was the first project by Mike Kinsella I had ever heard. When I stumbled upon them on YouTube, my first impressions were mixed at best — they sounded like a lot of other Chicago-based Post Rock acts I had heard, with the fragile vocalist and chimey, shimmering guitars. When my friend burnt me American Football’s entire discography months later, I fell in love. Especially with this track, which is probably one of the most beautifully lulling and transcendent songs ever written.

6. Foals | Heavy Water
This song is a perfect example of how to make a song change, shift and grow into something different. This track goes from a spaced out verse part, with a trickling, arpeggiated riff and a repeating vocal line to a charged up, dancey outro; after a amazingly executed tempo shift, of course. If you want to get emotional then dance your ass off all in one tune, listen to this one.

7. Death Cab For Cutie | A Movie Script Ending 
This is songwriting at its best. From Ben Gibbard’s great imagery - all written in tight, perfect little lines - to the heart-plucking chord progression and rollicking verses, to the great hook, it’s all so effortless and memorable. But here’s the thing I learned about the hook - Gibbard introduces the feel of it after the first verse, but only instrumentally. It’s like a mix between the pace of the verse and the attacky feel of the hook. He does this same trick in a few songs, but this one taught me to tease the listener... Keep them wanton.

8. Ray Charles | Drown In My Own Tears (Sonny Thompson feat.  Lula Reed's 'I'll Drown In My Tears' Cover)
This is the most souful song ever. It makes you want to stay up late into the evening, sipping whiskey and smoking cigarettes, singing to yourself. In fact, singing to Ray Charles - especially this song - gets me more buzzed than the alcohol or tobacco ever could. That’s why they call him The Genius... He gets you high.

9. The Wheel (a.k.a. Nathaniel Rateliff)  | My Hanging Surrender
If you sing, do it with conviction and soul. And learn how to use your diaphragm. There’s no chance in hell you can match Nathaniel Rateliff if you don’t sing from your chest or head or whatever. But really, this song, among others, taught me how to sing with soul.

10. Bob Dylan | She Belongs To Me  
Write lyrics with a touch of familiarity and a touch of abstraction. I like impressions as opposed to directness. I think Dylan understands this more than anyone. If he wants to be cryptic, he’ll be cryptic, but if he wants to be direct (usually when he’s talking about a girl) he’ll still write with a hint of enigma, which somehow makes this song feel more sincere.

SIDE C | by Spenser Leighton

1. Songs: Ohia | Farewell Transmission
Put on your headphones, turn off the lights, lie on the floor, listen. Momma, here comes midnight, with the dead Moon in it's jaws.

2. Brand New | The Archers Bows Have Broken
Everything Brand New has ever done amazes me. It's pretty hard to pick a favorite or say why it's my favorite. The snare roll really sticks out to me in this one though. That, and everything pouring out of Jesse Lacey’s mouth.

3. Maps & Atlases | Everyplace Is A House 
This song is why fell in love with Math Rock. I first found Maps & Atlases on MySpace, in Brett's About Me section. It was a YouTube video of Dave Davidson playing The Ongoing Horrible. After that, I downloaded their EP, Tree, Swallows, Houses, and the rest is history.

4. La Dispute | New Storms For Older Lovers 
I guess Love is a funny thing, the way it fades away without a warning. It doesn't ask to be excused. And, when it's gone, oh it's gone. It ain't never coming back. There is nothing you can do to save it, to make it breathe the way it did, when you were sliding on the ring, trust me, it's gone for good.

5. Between The Buried And Me | Selkies: The Endless Obsession 
...

6. Circa Survive | Handshakes At Sunrise
In 2005, I saw Circa Survive open for Mae at the Gothic Theater in Englewood, CO. Anthony came out and sang Unravel by Björk, then the band came out and they transitioned into Handshakes At Sunrise, oh so beautifully. I'm not sure I've been to a concert since then that’s hit me so hard.

7. Toe | Goodbye (feat. Toki Asako)
...

8. Built To Spill | Big Dipper
This song makes me think of every good friend I've ever had. I couldn't count the sing-alongs if I tried.

9. Ted Nugent | Stranglehold
When we were kids, we had this big, old Magnavox console Stereo from the ’50’s in the room above the garage where we used to play. Somehow, my brother was able to keep it going with an old box full of vacuum tubes. It would only tune in the Classic Rock station and the turntable was broken. We were all sitting around up there one day playing video games when Stranglehold came on and my Dad said: this is the greatest Rock And Roll song of all time.

10. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin | House Fire
Sitting in the rain outside of Village Inn / Driving up Deer Creek Canyon.

SIDE D | by Brett DeWire

1. Maps & Atlases | Winter
Inspired. Technical, yet catchy. It's like if Hall & Oates had a baby with Tera Melos. Dave, teach me how to play guitar.

2. American Football | Honestly?
Honestly? This song is like a photograph of a house at night with a light on. I’m sitting here asking myself, Who turn dat light on? Was it Mike Kinsella? Is this his house?... If it is, I want to meet him.

3. Neutral Milk Hotel | The King Of Carrot Flowers Pt. One
Possibly the best song off the best album ever made... At least to me it is. It carries so much emotion and meaning. I mean, come on, it’s Jeff Mangum.

4. School Knights | Low Tide
School Knights, won’t you come back? You were my favorite band in Denver and it just hasn’t been the same since you left. I love the steady bass line underneath that dual guitar melody. You know what I am talking about - I am too proud, praise him.

5. Brand New  | Vices
I had to put a Brand New song in here. They have been my favorite band since - shit... Fucking Forever. I remember listening to the opening track, not expecting it to go crazy halfway through. It actually scared me. So heavy... So raw.



6. Modest Mouse | Polar Opposites
I'm trying to drink away the part of the drink that is not as of yet drunk. That is all. Bless you.

7. The Wallace Virgil | Colorado 
I loved Northstar. When they broke up some of the members started The Wallace Virgil. This song does actually sound like Colorado, if Colorado was a song. It reminds me of a good friend of mine I don't get to see that much. Whenever he is in town, I make him play it.

8. The Get Up Kids | I’m A Loner Dottie, A Rebel
The first emo song I ever listened to. I don’t really know what emo means, but shit y’all, this song tastes good on my ear buds. Actually, I only like this song because the song title came from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.

9. Grizzly Bear | On A Neck, On A Spit
Yellow House is a album that grew on me. I love it when that happens. This song brings back memories of driving through the mountains in fall. It truly is a beautiful song. So well put together.

10. Their / They're / There | Concession Speech Writer 
This is my Summer song. It is Summer. This song brought back breakdowns into my life. Trust me, they were missed. The song is pretty much gosh darn perfect.