WARMER MIXTAPES #1171 | by Christopher Joseph Carey [Xeno]

1. Aphex Twin | 4
Aphex Twin was the first Electronic artist I’d ever listened to, and this track in particular made me fall in Love with his Music… His work has had a huge impact on my Music.

2. Bonobo | Ketto
I think I may have discovered Bonobo through hearing his music on TV. His unusual and organic use of instruments has certainly opened my eyes to using my own instrumental abilities within my music.

3. Burial | Ghost Hardware
I don’t think a day goes by where I don’t listen to Burial. I feel as though I will never get tired of his music, probably due to all the memories that are essentially connected to each and every one of his various works.

4. El-P | Tuned Mass Damper
El-P will always be one of my favourite MC’s. His production is some of the most creative and interesting stuff I have heard in the modern day Hip Hop scene… Ridiculously talented lyrically, also.

5. Flying Lotus | Dance Of The Pseudo Nymph
I honestly could've picked any FlyLo track. I don’t actually think he’s ever released something that I don’t like. Cosmogramma is probably my favourite album of his - the Thundercat basslines across this track are also incredible.

6. Four Tet | Ribbons
I discovered Four Tet and Burial around the same time, and this track has always been one that has stuck out to me. His clever use of loops and minimal Sampling is definitely something that has influenced me.

7. James Blake | The Bells Sketch
His ingenious chordal work and funky basslines are something I never thought would be able to work within his style of Music. Everything he has released has had something of an influence on me, but his early EP works opened up a new world of Musical Dexterity within Electronic Music that I’d never thought was possible.

8. Tim Hecker | Studio Suicide, 1980
Melodically and atmospherically, this album is nothing short of incredible. This record has been on constant rotation since I first heard it, and it doesn’t show any signs of letting up any time soon.



9. David Bowie | Warszawa
I guess I could say I was brought up on David Bowie’s music as my mom is a massive fan of his, and this album will always remain a personal favourite of mine. The Ambient half of the record also introduced me to the likes of Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, and Ambient Music in general.

10. Death Grips | Full Moon (Death Classic)
I travelled to London to see Death Grips live just over a year ago. Been a massive fan of theirs since the first time I heard them, and with every release, they’re only getting more and more Experimental and interesting.

+11. Hiatus Kaiyote | Mobius Streak
I absolutely adore this band. Nai Palm’s voice is something that has grown into an addiction for me, and I cannot get this song (nor the rest of the album) out of my head.

+12. Keith Jarrett | Runes
Arbour Zena... A music teacher introduced this record to me 2 or 3 years ago, and it is an astounding listen. There are only 3 tracks on the album, but the running time amounts to just short of the hour mark. I guess it could be described as some sort of a fusion between Ambient and Jazz Music.

+13. Curtis Mayfield | Little Child Runnin' Wild (Superfly Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
There isn’t much I need to say about this. Curtis Mayfield was well ahead of his time, and ridiculously talented. This song will always remain as one of my all time favourites.

+14. The Miles Davis Quintet | 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk Cover)
Miles Davis was the first Jazz artist I truly loved. Although this piece is written by Thelonious Monk, I prefer Davis’ interpretation of it. I also read recently that he was supposed to collaborate with Jimi Hendrix… If only.

+15. Prince | Housequake
Prince’s ability to write, produce and perform everything on a record is something that has been a massive source of inspiration for me. Sign 'O' The Times is a classic album, and one of my personal favourites.

+16. Stevie Wonder | Too High
Innervisions is probably my favourite Stevie Wonder record, and this track showcases everything I love about his music. The vocal arrangements, chord progressions and the rhythmic element of this piece are phenomenal, not to mention the harmonica solo… As a matter of fact, everything about this song is near perfection to me.