WARMER MIXTAPES #1473 | by Judith Glory Hill [Judith Hill]

1. Stevie Wonder | If It’s Magic
Every time I hear this song, it transports me into a magical world. I love the purity of the lyric and the mesmerizing harp. It reminds me of those unforgettable nights with Stevie when he would go to the piano to serenade us with his ballads. That was always the highlight of his shows.

2. Curtis Mayfield | Move On Up
This takes me back to the family road trips. We were Curtis Mayfield die hard fans. I love this track because of the congas and hypnotic horn lines. It’s the ultimate 70s party.

3. Yo-Yo Ma | Chega De Saudade (with Rosa Passos) (Elizete Cardoso Cover)
This marriage between Rosa’s sultry tone and Yo-Yo Ma’s beautiful bow is breathtaking. Such a colorful rendition of Antonio Carlos Jobim’s Chega De Saudade. Rosa’s phrasing is like no other. Her sense of rhythm is impeccable.

4. Sly & The Family Stone | Thank You For Talkin' To Me Africa ('Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)' Slower Pace Version)
One of the best Funk grooves of all times. This version of Thank You... is slowed down to a painfully hurting groove that goes on for ages. The bass and guitars are locked in so tight… I can listen to this all day.

5. Frédéric Chopin | Nocturne In F Minor, Op. 55, No. 1 (Performed by Adam Harasiewicz)
One of my favorite Chopin Nocturnes. It’s sad yet nostalgic. I love the sincerity in this simple, passionate Folk melody. A gentle lullaby, yet in the second half it rages like a turbulent storm. The juxtaposing of both sections makes this one of the greatest.

6. Vanessa Bell Armstrong | Walk With Me
I remember this song on a cassette tape with a green label on it… I wore this record out. This Bluesy, Gospel hymn was one of the first songs I ever learned as a kid. I copied every phrase, grunt, run and scream that Mrs. Armstrong did. It was like a vocal dictionary to me.

7. Willie Nelson | Always On My Mind (Gwen McCrae's 'You Were Always On My Mind' Cover)
Well, this is just one of those lyrics that breaks your heart. It is said so perfectly. Many people have covered this song because it is timeless. I love singing this.

8. Lauryn Hill | Doo Wop (That Thing)
This takes me back to Junior High. When this first hit the scene, it changed my life. Lauryn was my idol!! The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill was truly the best album that came out during that time. Nothing came close. It never gets old!!

9. Howlin’ Wolf | Spoonful 
His tone is legendary! This track is mean and greasy. I always listen to Howlin’ Wolf because he is raw Soul.

10. Billy Preston | Nothing For Nothing
This song always puts a smile on my face. The piano intro is iconic. Billy’s churchy, ragtime piano playing is one of a kind. My dad used to be in Billy’s band, so his Music is very close to me.