WARMER MIXTAPES #361 | by Christoph Andersson

1. Lil Wayne | BM J.R.
Lil Wayne is not only the best rapper alive, he’s the best rapper EVER. To me, there’s no disputing that. He’s been so prolific and groundbreaking. A lot of people will disagree but Tupac and Biggie can’t touch Wayne. His flow on this track is so amazing.

2. Blonde Redhead | In Particular
This track is pretty sentimental to me. When I was about 14 or 15, I hated school more than anything. Once, I got to skip school for a few days and fly to Austin City Limits festival with my dad. We literally got right off the plane and went to see Blonde Redhead play. I remember feeling so excited being able to get away from school to go listen to music. In Particular was definitely my favorite song of BR’s set.

3. Japan | Swing
I have to admit that I picked up my obsession with the band Japan from my parents. I grew up listening to this sort of music and really love it. This song is my favorite Japan song. The bass part has one of the best grooves I’ve ever heard. David Sylvian’s vocals are an acquired taste that most people haven’t acquired. I love it though…

4. Chris Brown | Take You Down
Most people think I’m kidding when I say I love this song. I’m absolutely serious. I was DJing at this tiny party during Mardi Gras this year and dropped this. It was by far one of the best parties I’ve ever played at.

5. Jaheim | Ain’t Leaving Without You
The groove on this track is so great. Jaheim’s voice is smooth but has enough edge to not make it cheesy. Most of what I look for in songs is a catchy hook. Every time I hear the hook of this song it gets stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

6. Terence Blanchard | Levees
Terence Blanchard is the only New Orleans jazz musician I’ll listen to. I’m a huge fan of all his film scores and music but especially his symphonic response to Hurricane Katrina, A Tale Of God’s Will. This song in particular has the most haunting trumpet part ever. I was actually stuck downtown for a week after Hurricane Katrina and had to get airlifted along with my family. Levees will always remind me of that helicopter flight over a devastated New Orleans.

7. Drake | Shut It Down (feat. The-Dream)
Shut It Down has been my go-to song for months. The production, the melody, and the lyrics are all amazing. I’m a huge Drake fan and to me, this is one of his most honest and heartfelt songs. I seriously could listen to song on repeat for hours and not get sick of it.

8. Ricky B | Y’all Holla
Y’all Holla is such a New Orleans bounce classic. Now that I’m traveling more I get homesick a lot. Whenever that happens, I put this song on. This song is enjoyed best driving around Uptown New Orleans with a frozen Daquiri.

9. Ryuichi Sakamoto | Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
I have nothing much to say about this other than this is one of my favorite piano pieces ever. Ryuichi Sakamoto is one of my favorite composers and musicians. There is also a version of this song called Forbidden Colours, which is equally as good.

10. Trey Songz | Panty Droppa (The Complete Edition)
By now, anyone reading this can tell I love babymakin’ R&B music. In fact, it’s probably what I listen to most. Trey Songz is definitely one of the best in terms of modern R&B. This song is a bonus track on his newest album, which really bothers me. I think Panty Droppa should have been one of the leading singles. Listen to this song and try not to bob your head…It’s impossible.