WARMER MIXTAPES #368 | by Thomas Crystal of Work Drugs

Location: Roof Deck, 5PM.

1. Junior Boys | Unbirthday
From the moment this song starts you can feel the chills running down your spine. It often reminds me of secret trips to the beach at night with a former lover... Who was a bit younger than me. This was our anthem. Age was just a number in the stars.

2. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti | Life In L.A.
When I was 23 I spent a year in L.A. Alone and new to the area, I used to spend my evenings driving up and down Route 1 listening to music and thinking about the girl I left back in Philly. This song always evokes memories of the golden Pacific Sun shimmering on the waves... And the calming effect they had on me.

3. Looking Glass | Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
I remember singing along to this song in my parent's car growing up and thinking... wow... there's so much more music out there that I'm missing. It was at that time I began my obsession with Billboard Top 100 of 1972.

4. The Avalanches | Since I Left You
I really love the dynamics of this upbeat... Simple... Yet undeniably powerful song. I think it's about redemption. Maybe it's just about moving on. Watch the steps, have a good time, now welcome to Paradise. That's pretty much my motto these days.

5. Marvin Gaye | Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)
Some people may see a spiritual side in this song, but I really just see it as a beautiful soaring song with a sweet groove.



6. Ester Drang | I Don't Want To Live (In A World Of Infinite Keys)
This song defined my summer of 2003. Slow, dreamy, simple... A song that helped soothe the sunburn... And the pain of being burned by a friend. Part of me is missing, I'll be on my way today. Yup.

7. Minus The Bear | This Ain't A Surfin Movie
Most Minus The Bear songs remind me of me of the beach and summer nights of my youth. Driving around, getting high, picking up women, making mistakes... Those were the days. Enough said.

8. The Flaming Lips | Sleeping On The Roof
I spent many a night on the roof deck just listening to this song with the headphones on. Staring at the stars... Or the city lights... Whichever was brighter that night. It's pretty rare that an instrumental song gets me going like this, but the Flaming Lips just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

9. New Order | Age Of Consent
Perfect lyrics. Perfect music. It reminds me of driving around with my best friend Wayne on a summer day. Wind in our hair. AM radio static in the air.

10. Kings Of Convenience | Cayman Islands
It's hard to choose between any Kings Of Convenience song, but this song always reminds my summer trip to the Caribbean. Snorkeling, lobster on the beach, beautiful women... Tranquility.