WARMER MIXTAPES #429 | by Gary Baldi of Drop Out Orchestra

1. The Human Beinz | Nobody But Me
This is such a party starter! Originally an Isley Brothers song, but this version has so much attitude, gotta love it!

2. Gladys Knight And The Pips | It's A Better Than Good Time (Walter Gibbons Mix)
One thing about the old disco records that people seem to forget some times is that the songs were so great, the actual songwriting was on another level completely. Just listen to this track; the little bridges, the energy burst when the major chords in the chorus kick in... Magic! And I love the way Walter Gibbons holds the bass back for half the song.

3. Jackie Wilson | (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher
Possibly the best song ever written. There is something about this chord progression that sometimes makes me cry like a little girl, especially if I'm really hungover haha. Lovely bass playing by James Jamerson.

4. Loose Joints | Tell You (Today)
I'm a big fan of Arthur Russell's music but for some reason I wasn't aware of this fantastic song until recently. I'm very proud to say that I've now been working with Steven Hall - who sings harmony and does the whistling on this track - remixing his Buddhist Army project. Loose Joints and other Arthur Russell bits have been such an inspiration, these guys are real heroes, true Disco originators.

5. A Tribe Called Quest | I Left My Wallet In El Segundo (Vampire Mix)
This track still puts a smile on my face. Great remix by Norman Cook too, proper party music. This takes me back to being 18, having a party in one of my first own rented flats, lots of Sol beer in the fridge, summer vibes...

6. Ajello | Chocolate Black Leather (feat. Hard Ton) (Tempelhof Remix)
I have no idea who Tempelhof are but I love this remix. Razor sharp synth bass that reminds me a little of Queen's Radio Ga Ga and really cool beats.

7. The Style Council | Shout To The Top
I still can't believe we were asked to remix Paul Weller's new single. It's not like I'm his biggest fan or anything but his music has always been there, you know? This is such a classy pop song, uplifting and clever at the same time.

8. Frank Wilson | Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
Bring on the peak time tracks! This one gets me every time, it hits the same spot as Higher And Higher. I'm not a religious man but there is definitely something about certain tunes that makes you feel you're part of something bigger. Very emotional stuff, in a party rocking way, kind of.

9. Stephen Stills | Love The One You're With
Time to wind down now. One of the best sing-a-longs this is, I'm also a big fan of Crosby, Stills & Nash. Not Neil Young though, I find 90% of his solo stuff unbearable.

10. The Beach Boys | Carry Me Home
For almost two years I listened only to the Beach Boys, day and night. I was totally obsessed with them. This is a Dennis Wilson song, it's an unreleased outtake from the Holland sessions. It was later covered by Primal Scream for their Dixie Narco EP, that version is almost as good as the original; Bobby G turned the song into a heavy comedown 90s Blues.