WARMER MIXTAPES #1006 | by Josh Ringsell and Dan Stock of Reporters

SIDE A | by Dan Stock

1. Bruce Springsteen | Backstreets
Probably the First Song I Ever Loved, Bruce Springsteen was always playing around the house when I was a kid so I suppose it was force fed to me from an early age. When I was 13 or so it came on Shuffle on my iPod and since that 6 minutes or so of my walk home from School, I’ve never looked back! The Live Version at Hammersmith Apollo ’75 is also great!

2. The Walkmen | The Rat
It’s the type of song that I imagine playing it is quite a Workout. I Love the Booming Vocals backed with the really fast Guitars and Drums. Compared to all the other songs I’ve chosen, I discovered it pretty recently, but it instantly became one of my favourite songs. The Walkmen deserve to be a lot more well-known than they are.

3. Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
Bob Dylan was another Artist that I knew from an early age. I remember listening to this song on a really long car journey, it’s about 12 minutes long and I must have played it 5 or 6 times. It stays the same throughout, but that doesn’t matter because of how good the Lyrics are. I listen to it most nights and it still doesn’t get boring.

4. The Libertines | Death On The Stairs
It’s just the Ultimate Anthem, probably the song that I subconsciously spent a lot of time trying to Re-Create. It instantly puts me in a good mood!

5. Squeeze | Up The Junction
This song is great because it doesn't really have a Chorus. I Love the Words and the way the Middle 8 stitches together all the Verses. It’s really Catchy too.


6. The Velvet Underground | Sunday Morning 
This is the Perfect Song to Wake Up To, Velvet Underground are a massive source of Inspiration for me and this is my favourite song by them. It has such a cool feel, it’s simple but Simplicity is often harder to get right than Complexity and this does it perfectly.

7. Pulp | Common People
At the moment I’ve been really getting into Jarvis Cocker, I really like the Wit in his Lyrics and the way he words everyday occurrences. It’s like a Working Class Anthem, nothing better than this song Live at Glastonbury 95.

8. Arctic Monkeys | Dance Little Liar
Arctic Monkeys are by far my Favourite Band, and this is my favourite song by them. I never liked it at first, it was always the song by them I’d skip, but there’s just something about the way it builds that I worship. Listen to it and you’ll know what I mean!

9. The Who | The Real Me
I’ve Loved The Who for years, this song is from their Quadrophenia album, it starts the album so well. My favourite part of it are the Drums, it’s probably one of the first and only songs I like mainly because of the Drums.

10. The Beatles | I Am The Walrus 
John Lennon is without a doubt my Biggest Idol, and personally I don’t think it can get much better than this. It was hard to choose between this and some of his more softer songs such as Jealous Guy and the first half of A Day In The Life, but I chose this because no matter how many times I listen to it, it still makes me laugh every time I hear it. Sitting on a conflake...


SIDE B | by Josh Ringsell

1. Drenge | People In Love Make Me Feel Yuck
I Love this song just because it’s so ballsy, and they have such a Big Sound for a Two-Piece. The Vocals are really Passionate and In-Your-Face. They’re not afraid to talk about pretty grotesque things, which is something I haven’t seen in any other band recently. I’m a big fan of the band at the moment and seeing them Live reinforced my Love for them and their album.

2. WU LYF | L Y F
I found this band a while ago when a friend posted one of their Videos Online. Unfortunately they’ve now split, but that hasn’t stopped me absolutely adoring their first and only album, Go Tell Fire To The Mountain. It’s a Raw and Passionate Sound, and the Vocals and the way the Instruments are played excites me. It’s not polished or attempting to be Perfect, it was recorded in a Church and mixed by the band and so none of the Feeling and Emotion is lost, the result is very Pure, and I Love it.

3. Neon Indian | Halogen (I Could Be A Shadow)
Neon Indian are one of my Weird Indietronic Fascinations. I Love this Style of Music because it’s so Ambient and Free, as well as being Full of Feeling. This song specifically is all of those things as well as being really Musically Interesting and a song that I’ve Loved for a couple of years now, ever since a friend told me about the band.

4. The Vaccines | Wreckin’ Bar (Ra Ra Ra)
I Love The Vaccines, especially their first album, which this song is from. They’re one of the only bands around who are still playing Punkie Teenage Anthems. Their Lyrics are about real things that happen to you when growing up, parties, relationships and things like that, and the things they talk about have happened to everyone so it’s very relatable. Also the songs themselves are so exciting, they just make you want to get up and jump around like a nut-job, which is what really excites me about this song.

5. Foals | Olympic Airways
I’ve always Loved Foals. They were the first Indie band I really listened to. This song for me has such a great Groove and I Love the Bass-line and how the Instruments’ parts compliment each other so well. It’s a really Funky song that I can never get out of my head after hearing it. I also Love how it’s kind of Downbeat but also Fast-Paced.

6. The Maccabees | Grew Up At Midnight
The Maccabees were a bit of a phase for me and they have a few songs that I have to listen to every so often just because they’re incredible, and this song is one of them. It’s a song that isn’t that complicated, but you can tell that the band connect with it so much and it Sounds amazing both on record and Live. I also really like Orlando’s Voice and how versatile it is, he doesn’t Sound like any other Singer.

7. Bob Marley & The Wailers | No Woman No Cry (Live At The Lyceum, London)
Bob Marley was a Genius, and someone who has had a huge effect in terms of both Music and Life in general. The subjects he sings about are relevant even 40 years after their release, and this song is so heartfelt and the Live Version is incredible. You can feel the Atmosphere of the Show throughout, and you know that Bob means every word he sings. He had a real connection with his Music that I think has kind of been lost in some of today’s Music. He did it for the Love, not the Money, which is something to admire in today’s Music Industry.

8. Procol Harum | A Whiter Shade Of Pale
I’d been trying to find this song for ages after hearing it in a Film a couple of years ago. I think I randomly stumbled across it on YouTube and was so happy when I found it after searching for so long. It’s quite a Downbeat song, but is really Catchy. I just Love the Melody and the Sound of that Organ. I also Love how even though I wasn’t around in the 60s, it makes me weirdly Nostalgic and makes me think about what it would have been like to grow up in a time like that when so much other great Music was coming out.

9. Tame Impala | Alter Ego
I first heard about Tame Impala about a year ago from Dan (ReportersFrontman) and our manager Paul. They kept talking about their albums when we had rehearsal and met up, and I thought I’d see what the fuss was about since I hadn’t heard of them before. I bought their first two albums and was absolutely blown away. They’re so different for a Modern band, it’s like The Beatles meets Psych-Rock. Their first album is my favourite, and this song has an amazing Groove and is so laid back. Their Music is so Escapist because of all the crazy Ambient Sounds, just amazing.

10. Jeff Buckley | Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen Cover)
Jeff Buckley is my Favourite Artist of All Time, and his first and last album Grace is my Favourite Album of All Time. I know this song isn’t an Original, but it’s the one Jeff is most renowned for, which is good in some ways and bad in others. I’m in Love with this song because not only does Jeff play the Guitar so well and so elegantly, but also because I have never heard any other Musician, whether they’re a Singer, Guitarist, Bassist, Pianist, Drummer, or whatever, who has played with so much Passion and Emotion. He completely lets himself go in every single song he performs, and knows exactly how to express himself, and this beautiful song is a perfect example. He was another Musical Prodigy who was taken way, way too early.