WARMER MIXTAPES #1227 | by Henri-Loup Verreault [ANGELZ/WONKA]

1. The Prodigy | Breathe
The first Electronic track I heard in my life. I was in second grade, so I guess like 7 years old? While my friends in School were probably listening to Sesame Street, I was glued to MTV trying to catch the video to this. The Fat Of The Land was also the first CD I ever bought. My mom told me the week after she went to pick me up at day care and I had told everyone that I had changed my name to Keith, who was the lead singer with the double mohawk. While my friends in School were probably pretending to be Batman, I was pretending to be part of one of the most legendary Electronic act of all-time.

2. Mylo | Drop The Pressure
In my last year of High School me and my friend were always riding around town after School in his pimped out car with the big subwoofers, we were always playing this same David Guetta At The Red Light Mix, that was when Guetta was really the #1, like 6 years ago… This song was something like the 5th track in this 20 minutes mix we would always play on repeat & the first time I heard this song I was instantly sucked into it’s vibe, it has this particularly sexy eeriness about it.

3. John Murphy | In The House - In A Heartbeat (28 Days Later Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Iconic track from 28 Days Later, I’ve always been a die-hard fan of Danny Boyle’s movies and this song is in my opinion one of the most powerful song that has ever been in a motion picture.

4. Lil Wayne | Lollipop (feat. Static Major)
This was Lil Wayne in his prime, the first single by a rapper using Auto-Tune that was not T-Pain, to this day I still can’t put my finger on why it was so infectious, the hook sounds almost dissonant, the verses make no sense, yet, if I could have access to my old Winamp library, I think I played it a couple thousand times.

5. N*E*R*D | Lapdance (feat. Lee Harvey And Vita)
The first Neptunes track I ever heard, in my teenage years. Pharrell Williams was my role model, from his dressing style, to his Production work, I collected every single one of their tracks and spent years trying to sound identically like them. I acquired every piece of software and hardware they used, I dug every unreleased tracks , spent time on secret mIRC chat rooms to get exclusive leaks, etc. The day the Lapdance video came on and I heard the beat & the hook, I knew I was going to make Music for a living.

6. Oasis | Fuckin' In The Bushes
Unknown fact: I am one of the biggest Movie nerds around. I’ve seen every movie that ever mattered & will refuse to see any movie that is worthless entertainment. I take pride in having impeccable taste in all things Art & movies are no exception. Guy Ritchie had his ups & downs, but will always be to me the father of the British Gangster Movies. Lock , Stock & Two Smoking Barrels is a masterpiece & so was its follow-up; Snatch. This song is the climax of the movie, it is an integral part of the movie, without it the movie would be naked. I was surprised to learn the drum loop is actually a sample, and so are the voice clips. All Oasis did is add the fucking amazing layered guitar sections, organ & choirs & put everything together into the most beautifully compressed brick wall track of all time.

7. Death In Vegas | Dirge
Another movie song. Closing credits of The Last House On The Left’s 2009 reboot. The La la la section gives me chills every single time. It actually strangely sounds like a follow-up to the last Oasis track. Probably one of the creepiest songs of all time and also one of my favorite ever.

8. Rachid Taha | Habina
I’ve always been fascinated by Middle-Eastern Music and I think it is because of this song. Sounds like a Desert Rave.

9. Drake | We'll Be Fine (feat. Birdman)
Most underrated Drake song of all-time for me. I’ve never really been able to enjoy R&B & Feel-Good Music. This track is my favorite kind of Drake. When it came out it was on repeat for most of my days. The hook just won me over right away.

10. The Chemical Brothers | Container Park (Hanna Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
I’ve lived in Sydney, Australia for some time 2 or 3 years ago. It was some of the most interesting moments of my life. I really don’t want to sound like I miss it or live in the past because I’m excited for everything that is to come. But, when I relocated there, it’s like I was waking up for the first time in my life to what I really wanted in Life. I still listen to this song a lot when I go for a jog outside & every single time I am transported back to Kings Cross & Bondi Beach, looking around and taking in the fact that I was now on the other side of the World. All by myself.